Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60's AMC straight sixes

OK! I just won on eBay yesterday a sort of a grail of mine...............a '68 Javelin Promo in played with, but very restorable shape! In one of my someday projects, I'd like to replicate a car that was my Mom's first new car. She bought her Javelin brand new in the fall of '67 when the local dealer here (England Motors) had just intro'd it. 

Hers was gold with a black interior, and I'm sure it ran a straight six. The reason I'm a bit certain about the engine is because she kept the car about a year and half, and then in the summer of '69 she traded that Javelin in for another one, which had a 390/auto in it. 

That car sounded VERY different from the '68, as that '69 had a very distinct rumble to it. The '68 sounded like.................well a six! :D

Anyone have an idea if there's an aftermarket straight six out there for AMC's? I've not seen one in resin, and I can't think of any kit that would have this engine. 

Thanks in advance fellas...........I guess I COULD cobble something together if nothing's out there. ;)

For the late Sixties AMC six, the Pacer unit makes a good starting point.  The AMT wagon and MPC hatchback are totally different kits, tooled by (then) competing companies.  IMO the MPC hatchback engine is the better one.  The Javelin would probably have a different air cleaner, fan, and pulleys, and definitely a different automatic transmission. 

Yes , The Replica and Miniatures of Maryland AMC 6 is a "pre-Smog" Engine .  

Pictures of these 1:1 are easily found through Google . Research this as the '68 MY and beyond had a "Warm Up Stove" . The Automatic was a Borg Warner Unit . Thanx .. 

Thanks for the info John! As far as transmissions, any ideas which would work as far as a Borg Warner auto? 

Interesting enough, in my 1:1 '69 AMX I was looking for a new clutch for it one time, and I was told that the four speed was actually a Chrysler unit-------more accurately that AMC and Chrysler shared trannies which I think were Borg Warner units.

One of the projects on my bench is a 1966 Rambler American I have both the Hardtop and convertible and they had a decently rendered 232 6 Cylinder Engine. I have yet to compare these with the Pacer Engines, one of which will find its way into a Gremlin project in the future.

The '66 annual kit engine is carried over from the earlier Jo-Han American kits.  The first American kits with engines were the '63s, then the axle hole in the block was altered and the engine used again in the '64-'66 kits.  It's the earlier ('56-'65) engine, not the 199/232/258 series.  The automatic transmission with those kit engines is the Borg-Warner unit AMC used through 1971; the Jo-Han piece ought to fit with one of the Pacer engines. 

Thanks for the info John! As far as transmissions, any ideas which would work as far as a Borg Warner auto? 

Interesting enough, in my 1:1 '69 AMX I was looking for a new clutch for it one time, and I was told that the four speed was actually a Chrysler unit-------more accurately that AMC and Chrysler shared trannies which I think were Borg Warner units.

After three days of search Bill , I found this ;<https://www.google.com/search?q=amc+transmission+identification&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwi_0pqCi47UAhUU0IMKHT1YBikQsAQISg&biw=1024&bih=638>

It does have a pic of the Pan Gasket to ID Visually a Borg Warner , BWT 35 used on '68 MY 6 cly Javelins . AMC used a Torque Tube until the '70 MY . A switch to Hotchkiss , open Drive Shaft with Exposed U-joints was made . If I find more .. I'll Post .. Thanx ..   

The '66 annual kit engine is carried over from the earlier Jo-Han American kits.  The first American kits with engines were the '63s, then the axle hole in the block was altered and the engine used again in the '64-'66 kits.  It's the earlier ('56-'65) engine, not the 199/232/258 series.  The automatic transmission with those kit engines is the Borg-Warner unit AMC used through 1971; the Jo-Han piece ought to fit with one of the Pacer engines. 

That sounds right to me. At this time, one of my projects is the resurrection of a glue-bomb 1966 Rambler American Hardtop. That little six looks good to me.