Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do resin parts exist to change a '69 Cougar to a '68?

Other than the funny car, which I don't want to buy, it doesn't look like there's been a '68 Cougar for some time.  Does anyone know of any aftermarket sources that offer the front & rear bumpers, correct seats etc, for this?

If you've done this conversion, please post pics and any comments about the quality and ease of use of the pieces included. 

I'm trying for this look:

cou.jpg

I think you'll find that '68 and '69 Cougars are, sheetmetal wise, completely different cars (as were '68 and '69 Mustangs). IOW, I don't think it's practical/possible to convert a '69 to a '68.

The '68 Cougar funny cars have very stock-ish bodies, with the exception of the rear wheel openings, which would have to be reduced. I have a nice photo of an original AMT annual '68 body rear wheel opening, with a nice ruler in the picture, if you care to try the conversion. (i.e., you can print the pic out at life-size per the ruler and use it as a pattern/template for the opening size and contours.)

You can use the common '69 chassis, engine, etc. for such a conversion. The '69 interior won't be correct, of course, but if I were going to do this and I couldn't come up with a proper '68 interior, I'd just plug in the '69 guts, paint 'em black, and drive on.

Jes' like this one...

P1018552_zpssy9me8yc.jpg

The '69 interior will fit with no major issues. I've got a modelhaus '67 dash but it's the base one, without the extra XR7 gauges. Maybe some kitbashing with the '68 mustang dash will improve it. 

mike

Once owned a 67 Cougar GT. The main difference between the 67 and 68 is a few trim items, some options and the 68 had the side lights, front and rear. The 69 body wise is a completely different car, with a similar shape. As far as I know, there is not one panel from a 69 that would match a 67 or 68.

SMH Resins.  It's a nice piece.

Reliable Resin shows a body conversion kit and a complete interior on their web site.  These pages were updated in 2010 and 2011 so use caution.

http://www.reliableresin.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=256

http://www.reliableresin.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_29&products_id=118

SMH Resins.  It's a nice piece.

Reliable Resin shows a body conversion kit and a complete interior on their web site.  These pages were updated in 2010 and 2011 so use caution.

http://www.reliableresin.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=256

http://www.reliableresin.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_29&products_id=118

Reliable Resin = Caveat Emptor.  Let the buyer beware...

85 bucks seems kinda high for a body, bare bumpers/grille and hood.

I got mine from Modelhaus for under 60 and it included in interior and plated bumpers. 

Glad I got it when I did.

Edited by Can-Con

I got mine from Modelhaus for under 60 and it included in interior and plated bumpers. 

You're going to cry, but about 10 years ago, I bought a mint, unbuilt, new in box AMT '68 Cougar from an airplane modeler for $75--and he thought I was being generous giving him that much for it.

And, liking the Cougar and wanting one on my shelf, but being emotionally unattached to this particular kit (unlike some others I have), I plan to actually BUILD the thing. I figure I'm finally just about good enough. If/when I do, I'll do it here in the Workbench, soliciting and taking suggestions/advice on things such as chassis colors and so forth. I plan to build it OOB, but make whatever changes are necessaru for factory-stock accuracy, if need be.

And NO, it's not for sale or trade, so don't blow up my PM box. :P

BTW, here's that pic I mentioned, for anyone who wants to try converting the funny car body:

68CougarWell2.jpg

I'm casually looking for a decent 67 Cougar. When I do ck one out they tend to go for more than my wallet is going to open up for.

Ive toyed with the idea to convert the funnycar body combined with the 69 interior and chassis  to give me the basic look I'm after.,,but it not real high on my to do list ,

( I used to own a 67 390 auto car. and maybe some day want to build a replica of that old ride )

'68 Mercury Cougar - Original Issue Painted Purple'68 Cougar  Original Annual Kit - Rear View

For the record, here's photos of an original 1968 kit. Note that it doesn't have that grille bar shown in your original ad picture

I THINK that horizontal bar in the grille was a special deal for '68 GT or GTE or whatever they called it, and not standard on all '68s, but I'd have to do some research to confirm that. I do know I never saw very many of those bars in Cougar grilles in real life.

I THINK that horizontal bar in the grille was a special deal for '68 GT or GTE or whatever they called it, and not standard on all '68s, but I'd have to do some research to confirm that. I do know I never saw very many of those bars in Cougar grilles in real life.

Yes, the horizontal bar in the grille was only on the GTE, which came in Standard or XR 7 trim.  Also the GTE had argent paint on the lower body, separated from the main color by a stainless steel molding.

GTEs came with a 427 at first, later they had the 428.

Price an original AMT kit lately?

Price an original AMT kit lately?

I don't have to, I know what they go for but that's not an original AMT kit.

I also know that's a ridiculous price for a 1/25 resin body with just the bumpers and hood no matter what the subject.

Yes, AAM used to sell a Cougar. So did R+R Resins. Unfortunately, both are out of business. There were a couple others that did resin Cougars too.  

I don't have to, I know what they go for but that's not an original AMT kit.

I also know that's a ridiculous price for a 1/25 resin body with just the bumpers and hood no matter what the subject.

Yes, AAM used to sell a Cougar. So did R+R Resins. Unfortunately, both are out of business. There were a couple others that did resin Cougars too.  

I think AAM and R+R resins were direct copies of AMT versions