Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL "Gullwing"

jaymcminn

I'm not familiar with this HRM place or Rudge wheels.  Can you provide some help?

Standard wheels for the 300SL were a steel 5-lug wheel with a hubcap. These are the wheels this kit comes with. Optional wheels were a knockoff steel wheel by the Rudge company. The Rudge wheels are a highly desirable (and expensive) option to have on a 1:1 Gullwing. These resin Rudge wheels were cast by Harold Bradford, whose company Historic Racing Miniatures produces some seriously nice parts for vintage sports and racing cars. Harold doesn't have a storefront but several online vendors, like Red Frog Hobbies, sell his stuff.

Jay, you're just knockin' 'em out the park!

Absolutely fabulous, and I have to say your door fitment is 'bout perfect! I've got this one too with the Rudge Wheels and tires from HRM..........I don't know when it'll make it to my worktable though! So many choices to build and not enough time! ;)!

Bill, I can't wait to see what you do with yours! You'll love it! 

Great build! Looks amazing without the bumpers! Ive just picked up this kit too, incredible quality, only thing missing I fell is a set of luggage to go behind the driver. (which someone sells in resin, just cant remember who)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Seriously, if anyone is on the fence about getting this kit just do it. You won't be disappointed. Plus, the more of these Tamiya sells, the closer we'll be to getting more great classic sports cars (Jag E-Type? Aston DB5?) BTW, I'll be posting up pics of this car's grandson tomorrow!

Amazing story about a pair of 300 SLs (Gullwing and roadster) in totally original, low-mileage driving condition. Heading to Gooding & Co. auction at Pebble Beach this summer.  Video included here.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1110877_unrestored-mercedes-300sl-and-300sl-roadster-head-to-auction?ta&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5939748204d3013e38d4601d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook