Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL "Gullwing"

jaymcminn

This is Tamiya's 1/24 scale Mercedes 300SL. This kit was an absolute joy to work on... fit and finish were excellent, mold lines were practically non-existent, and the parts count and quality were exactly what you'd expect from Tamiya at its best. The bumpers are so pretty it killed me to leave them off, but the Gullwing just looks so right without them. Rear holes were filled in and the front bumper holes were used for mounts for the driving lamps. The rear license plate mount with integral lights was a spare bit from the Hasegawa Miura kit (seriously, never throw anything away, kids!)  and Dutch plates were mostly chosen because the color looks good on the car. Body- color Rudge wheels with Englebert tires from HRM add to the businesslike air of this Mercedes. 

P1040934_zpsmmq1msnh.jpg

Paint is Testors Custom Lacquer Chevrolet Silver Blue. I was sweating it a little, as this color is out of production and not easy to find. I'm pretty sure this color doesn't correspond too closely with any original Mercedes colors, but I love it on this car!

P1040936_zpsvbuvdh25.jpg

Interior is the standard Gullwing interior- Navy blue with plaid upholstery inserts. I custom-mixed flocking to get the slightly lighter blue-grey shade of the original carpeting. Upholstery decals are Scale Motorsports (and are brilliant!). I filled the pleats in the seats, as well as the oddly- empty seatbacks, with styrene as the fabric inserts did not have the tuck-n-roll pattern of the full leather seats. 

P1040896_zpswupcqcpd.jpg

P1040906_zpsmqd0xezt.jpg

P1040923_zpszdxe9qkp.jpg

Yes, the rear view mirror is askew. And yes, it is now fixed!

The engine bay was left box-stock, with the exception of trimming the mounting pin on the airbox ahead of the intake manifold to get the unit to sit lower. That piece will be the source of 90% of hood fitment woes... it's really tight under there!

P1040926_zps1xo9vt7y.jpg

P1040928_zpscwlwrnqj.jpg

Door fitment was a pleasant surprise. It's nearly perfect, and if the car were a darker color you'd never notice the panel lines. 

P1040949_zpsjra1m2un.jpg

P1040944_zpsjrfo9cwn.jpg

I couldn't recommend this kit, or the HRM Rudge wheels, more highly. It's a real work of art and looks wonderful sitting on the shelf. Now I just have to decide... doors open or closed?

P1040930_zpsatvilsgq.jpg

Jay, you're just knockin' 'em out the park!

Absolutely fabulous, and I have to say your door fitment is 'bout perfect! I've got this one too with the Rudge Wheels and tires from HRM..........I don't know when it'll make it to my worktable though! So many choices to build and not enough time! ;)