Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Ed Pink "OLD MASTER" Dragster

ClayK

Hey guys, long time since I've posted here. Started this project a few weeks ago, and I hope to have it done by November. I've started a few of these full scratch built 1/16 dragsters and keep getting hung up on one thing or another. But so far this one is going pretty smooth.

I drew up the chassis in Illustrator and made a scale set of plans to work from like I normally do with projects like this. The majority of the frame is 3/32 tube, with smaller rod for the braces. I know some like to only use solid brass rod for chassis, but I find by using tube I get cleaner joints because the excess solder will get pulled into the tube. Making for a lot less clean up.

Here's the real restored car. I hope mine looks some where close to as cool as this one does.

200mphreunionaluminumfrontwing-vi.jpg

Here's the chassis so far. Big thanks to Chris S. and Tim H. for their help and guidance as I get going on this thing. Tim has been a big help with getting my brass work and soldering better.

P1014648x-vi.jpg

P101464z9-vi.jpg

P1014650z-vi.jpg

I've also been working on the front suspension. I bent the front axle from brass rod and tube. Small brackets are brass etch from Dirt Modeler. Front radius rod brackets are brass square tubing filed to the right shape and soldered in place. I also machined the steering knuckles and soldered the axles in place. The brass torsion bar mounts and aluminum plates were also machined. These will all bolt up with .8 MM nuts and bolts.

P1014652xjpg-vi.jpg

P1014644z-vi.jpg

And a quick mock up. Thanks to Chris for the front tires and wheels!

P1014655z-vi.jpg

Hopefully I can get the front end all finished up here soon.

Thanks for looking...

CK

Edited by ClayK

Clay, I'm happy to be the first to post on this thread...........we're ALL in for a real treat on this one and I'm glad to see you decided to come back and share it with us.  Your builds have always inspired me and I look forward to more.   Cheers, Tim

Clay... I am so stoked and excited to see you posting this build here. This is going to be one heck of a build that you are going to knock out of the park. You know I will be following along for sure and IF you need anything you know I am willing to help out. I am still trying to find info pit on tat injector hat. Everything is looking killer. The chassis, front Axle are works of art. And those front wheels are looking Great on there ;) Seeing this build it has given me some motivation to get my F/C done so I can start my FED i have been wanting to do. As Tim has mentioned your builds alway inspire me.  Keep up the killer work!

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 3 weeks later...

O man, how have I missed this?? Glad I got dialed in. Clay - this is looking spectacular. That front end is a thing of beauty. Your brass work is spot on. I'll be following along and be right in the front row. So glad to see you share this with all of us. Such inspiring work.

Finally got some time to take some pics of my front end progress. I ordered some stainless steel hypodermic tubing from Amazon for all the linkages. They slid right over the #1507 RB Motion rod ends. Right now everything is temporally held together with brass bolts. When I put everything back together I will make sure I get the right nuts and bolts on to hold it together properly. things are a floppy mess right now.

P1014675z-vi.jpg

P1014678z-vi.jpg

P1014679z-vi.jpg

P1014674z-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Clay