Model Cars Magazine Forum

78 Firebird decals..

Does anyone make the "Bandit" decals for the 1/24 scale Revell/Monogram Firebird? It's the old 3n1 kit. Looking for the bird, all the pinstripes and lettering..

I've already talked to Keith, and he says his will not work on this as the pinstripes won't be long enough. Thought maybe some one else had build a clone with this kit. I like the looks of the Revell/Monogram kit better than any of the 1/25 scale versions

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, I've been looking on the net for the actual decals, but I be danged if I can't find them.. I did find the kits they came in. These are the Monogram 1/24 78 Pontiac Trans Am.

78%20firebird1.jpg

The Revell versions don't have the trans am letters.  It would be AWESOME If one of these is the kit you built, and you don't care to part with them, or a copy of them. Heck I'd take the whole kit off your hands.

Jeremy, the "Blackbird" decal sheet Keith Marks makes is very comprehensive, including all the pinstriping that the special edition 1/1 cars have.

Although true, the pinstripping wouldn't be long enough for a 1/24 body, I don't see any reason you couldn't still use the bird decals and lettering from his sheet. Although slightly smaler, I don't think anyone would notice the difference unless it was placed beside a kit with the 1/24 decals .

Besides, Keith's decals would be printed in metalic gold as opposed to the non-metallic of the kit decals

That's not even close to the Firebird I built. It wasn't a Trans Am.  Sorry

Ah shucks... oh well, thanks for trying though, Jim! I do appreciate it!

Jeremy, the "Blackbird" decal sheet Keith Marks makes is very comprehensive, including all the pinstriping that the special edition 1/1 cars have.

Although true, the pinstripping wouldn't be long enough for a 1/24 body, I don't see any reason you couldn't still use the bird decals and lettering from his sheet. Although slightly smaler, I don't think anyone would notice the difference unless it was placed beside a kit with the 1/24 decals .

Besides, Keith's decals would be printed in metalic gold as opposed to the non-metallic of the kit decals

Steve, you're right. I really was hoping someone else had done this with the 1/24 version, though. Oh well.. That may be the route I have to take.

Thanks for the input!

Does anyone make the "Bandit" decals for the 1/24 scale Revell/Monogram Firebird? It's the old 3n1 kit. Looking for the bird, all the pinstripes and lettering..

I've already talked to Keith, and he says his will not work on this as the pinstripes won't be long enough. Thought maybe some one else had build a clone with this kit. I like the looks of the Revell/Monogram kit better than any of the 1/25 scale versions

Jeremy, if you have a way you could print the decals or if someone here could print a set for you, I have the "Warbird" version and could scan them for you. I wish I could do more than just offer you the scan, but I am a Trans Am lover and finding the "Trans Am" names are near impossible in newer kits. 

Since you did mention specifically the "Bandit" though, you might be better off getting this kit:

20170604_103120-vi.jpg

Though you would still have to source the "Trans Am" names for the front fenders, nose, and rear spoiler, it would give you everything else you need down to the correct licence plates for the "Bandit" and has the correct "Hurst" T-Tops that the 78 does not have as well as the correct automatic transmission. The only real downfall of this kit is that it has four screws to attach the chassis to the body, but other than that seems to be about the same level of detail as the 1/24th scale 78. 

One last suggestion would be this "Blackbird" from MPC, it also has the correct "Hurst" T-Tops and DOES include all the "Trans Am" scripts! 

20170604_111129-vi.jpg

This issue I have was reissued in the maybe about 10 years ago, and while I've personally not ever been a fan of the older MPC Trans Ams compared to the Monogram kit, it does have all the markings you'd need to make the "Bandit" except for the licence plates.