Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Ford Mustang Funny Car

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted anything so here goes. Tricky car in some ways but doable: Any questions, or , comments are welcome! Thanks for being here! 

base1.jpg

base2.jpg

base3.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

Edited by Speedfreak
just wanted

Thanks you guys, it just kind of feel together, (sure it did :)) it was sitting in the dust bin after having started it a couple of years ago, I wanted to work on something with lots of decals and this fit the bill. The paint is Dupli-Color (can't remember name) with Tamiya Clear Pearl (thanks Ace!) over it. I didn't like color when first painted, (thought it looked too pedestrian for a FC) but once decals started going on started to like it, now like it. Thanks for all the compliments and comments! 

Thanks John and Dave, appreciate your comments. 

James, the problems start with the body itself, watch for warpage on the A-pillars and the whole rear section (trunk area) on one of the bodies (had to get second one from Round2) was warped at an angle so the inner shell would not line-up. then there was work getting the engine to sit flat and true (if you look closely you can still see space between the block and flywheel case on mine) I pinned the headers so they would stay lined up. The next (and maybe worst) problem was the wheelie bars, they are flimsy and not straight, I had to straighten them (as best I could) and then pin them (there are no notches or anything else for placement on axle housing) and because they are so flimsy and long and thin it was impossible to 'hold' them in place for adhesive, so I pinned them :) to the axle housing. Oh ya, other area was 'inner shield ' , or whatever that is called, had to be opened up around blower so the body would come down all the way, last but maybe not least was the piece that connects to inner shield and frame that body swivels on, that was a bit tricky getting lined up. In the end it was a great experience for me, I'm glad I stuck with it, and thanks to this forum for giving me the skills to address the problems I encountered. 

Question: I am considering getting this kit, but I wanted to know exactly what you found to be the trouble areas?

James, forgot to quote you so here it is!

Thanks Art, I appreciate that! Clean is where it's at man! 

Edited by Speedfreak

James, forgot to quote you so here it is!

Thanks Art, I appreciate that! Clean is where it's at man! 

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and purchased one. Sure enough, one of the wheelie bars is very crooked-too crooked to fix. The body is good, however, and that's my favorite part. So I made an executive decision to kit bash it with one of the very numerous 70s funny car kits I have. Now if I can get it to turn out as good as yours, I will have accomplished something. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and purchased one. Sure enough, one of the wheelie bars is very crooked-too crooked to fix. The body is good, however, and that's my favorite part. So I made an executive decision to kit bash it with one of the very numerous 70s funny car kits I have. Now if I can get it to turn out as good as yours, I will have accomplished something. Thanks again.

Hope it turns out good James, each kit is an experience, keep going! 

Wow, looking good

Thanks Dan!