Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 68 PLYMOUTH ROADRUNNER KIT TO SUPERBIRD

Can anyone tell me if this AMT Roadrunner kit has the parts included to build the Superbird. I have seen photos at Hobbylinc that people have posted with the Suberbird, not sure if they just slipped them in for extra points or what. I really want a Superbird or Daytona kit to a add to my Mopar collection!

ROADRUNNER.jpg

The only way to get a superbird is either a Monogram 1.24th scale.

Or long out of production Johan kit which is the only source for a1.25th scale.  Be warned...your piggy bank will take a hit for a Johan kit..

Ps, about the only shared item between a 68 Roadrunner and a 1970 Superbird , is the windshield

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Well I see that Modelroundup has a AMT 69 Daytona listed that I may get some day or check out auction sights

The AMT 69 Daytona kit is a horrible dumpster fire of sadness. You could help it by adding the chassis from the 68 Roadrunner you posted but by the time you buy two kits you could get the really great Revell 69 Daytona. If you watch ebay for a few weeks the Johan 70 kits can be found for an acceptable price, especially for an open box one.

Just my opinion. But I personally think the  AMT body better represents a Charger. with a little bit of work on the nose to body fit. IMO it looks better than the Revell kit does

Something about the exaggerated door scallops on the Revell kit makes it look weird , especially in a light color

The AMT kit , I built a looooong time ago. ( its starting to fall apart  now ) And yes it does have the newer AMT chassis under it

AMT-Daytona2.JPG

Daytona.JPG

AMT-Daytona3.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

I have one of these. Superbird fans, how should I build it? I'm a fairly big S&M fan, but this car wasn't really that significant in their history. Should I build it S&M, or revert it to factory stock?

Just my opinion. But I personally think the  AMT body better represents a Charger. with a little bit of work on the nose to body fit. IMO it looks better than the Revell kit does

Something about the exaggerated door scallops on the Revell kit makes it look weird , especially in a light color

The AMT kit , I built a looooong time ago. ( its starting to fall apart  now ) And yes it does have the newer AMT chassis under it

AMT-Daytona2.JPG

Daytona.JPG

AMT-Daytona3.JPG

Nice job--it really looks the part. Well done!

I have one of these. Superbird fans, how should I build it? I'm a fairly big S&M fan, but this car wasn't really that significant in their history. Should I build it S&M, or revert it to factory stock?

I may not be the best one to answer this . But I would build the S+M car. Then grab another one to do the 2nd S+M car. ( There was a SS car and a MP class car )  Then grab another one to do replica stock . But Ive got probably 4 or 5 Johan Superbird kits so my opinion is tainted somewhat

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/post-363-0-07097100-1414423889.jpg

http://images108.fotki.com/v360/photos/2/282682/4333550/71winters007-vi.jpg

I may not be the best one to answer this . But I would build the S+M car. Then grab another one to do the 2nd S+M car. ( There was a SS car and a MP class car )  Then grab another one to do replica stock . But Ive got probably 4 or 5 Johan Superbird kits so my opinion is tainted somewhat

Just 4 or 5 ?

I would do the  S&M car also. If I had one!

Ive got a Johan Bird in process. And using the AMT chassis under it as well. Someday I'll finish it . Its supposed to be a replica of a good friends old car

20160430_152401.thumb.jpg.a93d9d983812b378282178d2459720a6.jpg

20160430_152414.thumb.jpg.720dac83d3dce36cd1466ffe37e73108.jpg

DSC00856.thumb.JPG.7a3eb0f847528551a14075ebe2de9e9c.JPG

DSC00878.JPG

engine.thumb.JPG.2b20b173010034725bb2b00f60a8e220.JPG

wheels.jpg

DSCN0775.jpg

Bill, I did the Monogram Superbird exactly like that about 20 years ago. I need to get that thing out and post some pics of it someday.

Keep checking eBay for Johan Superbirds..........they can still be had for reasonable prices if you don't get into a bidding war. Builtups are even more readily available as I seem to see them all the time. In fact, I have a built up Superbird in the "to do" pile someday to restore. The Revell '68-69 Charger chassis should fit under them without too much trouble. Personally, I'm partial to the Johan bodied car............the Monogram one never quite looked right to me.

Something about the rear window/roof shape isn't right to my eyes.

Regarding the Daytona...........well I just gotta gives mass props to Revell's version! Somewhat exaggerated door scallops notwithstanding, I liked the way the body was tooled much more than the MPC. Now granted, MPC's version goes back a loooong way, and was a very nice kit for its time. As was mentioned though, the nose on the car seems a bit off to me, but with some work can be made to a very nice display model.

Here's my Daytona that I built back in 2000............

P5050278.JPG
P5050280.jpg

This kit has a bit of a gaffe in the rear suspension............the rear wheels are not quite as centered in the wheelwells as they should be when building this out of the box. My car has working suspension, so I tried to fix that little foible. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the opinion. I saw one of these kits, NIB and factory sealed, at the local toy show today for $60! And this from a vendor known for VERY fair prices, even bargains in many cases. Had no idea the thing was worth that.

So I think I will do S&M car, probably the MP. BTW, I do have another JoHan Superbird in a Richard Petty box I think would be a better candidate to build stock anyway.

Thanks for the opinion. I saw one of these kits, NIB and factory sealed, at the local toy show today for $60! And this from a vendor known for VERY fair prices, even bargains in many cases. Had no idea the thing was worth that.

So I think I will do S&M car, probably the MP. BTW, I do have another JoHan Superbird in a Richard Petty box I think would be a better candidate to build stock anyway.

I would have to double ck. But I don't think the S+M Bird has the stock tires or wheels in it anyway