Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was lucky whenever I get my 1st pick up which is a 1962 Chevy c10 fleet side that I had gotten from my uncle who bought it in 1962 straight off the car lot he kept it under a carport and only drove it back and forth to the store. So when I got it for my 15th birthday, that was in 1985 he passed away a few months earlier so my parents bought it for $500, it was all original I had a folder which had the original build sheet, every registration, every oil change and the only parts he had to put on was a water pump and a starter on the original 283/powerglide. I was working under it and had a Jack failure about 3 months after my 16th birthday resulting in a C4 neck injury causing quadriplegic. I kept it for a couple of years afterwards, I putted out at a friends house up on blocks and after about 2 years we went back out there but a fresh battery on it, a little starter fluid and on about the 3rd crank it fired right back up. A friend of mine was in engine builder and gave me a cam from a 327 that came out of the Corvette to put into it, I was lucky my mother worked at Champion Rebuilders so she could get me any part so I got the cam, she got me new pushrods, a new 650 carburetor, and I was racing it so hard I Burning up the generators, yes I said generators! But I sold it to a friend of mine which in turn she sold it to her brother who kept it for this whole time and when he passed away he gave it to his son which they were supposed to fix it up together, I've tried to buy it back from the bay he's not budging because he saying that was his dad's truck that they were going to fix up together. So that's the back story on what I want to do as far as a model goes. In the picture the only thing that he did to it was changed to drivetrain and the wheels, everything else as far as the paint and interior was the same as when I sold it to him

So what I'm looking for someone to build me a custom 1962 Chevy c10 fleet side, I know I would have to use a AMT 1960 GMC pickup cab, to get the wraparound windshield and also the big back window, and the 1964 hood and grill. I have all the list of everything that I wanted to do as far as the colors, wheels and tires, engine drivetrain. So I'm looking for someone that can build me one. I'll include a picture of my original truck.

17554072_10210133213261749_5212981334287434894_n[1].jpg

Edited by Cripp7

Howard,

First, my sympathies regarding your injury and condition.

Second, we get a few (non-builders) people looking for custom builds every year. They get very little interest from builders here on this forum. Simply because, time is precious and we've little enough for our own projects.

My recommendation to you, is to do a search on ebay, in the Toys/Hobbies/Model Car section, looking for the keyword "pro-built". There are folks there that will take clients and do custom work. But be forewarned, you will be paying for that persons time. Custom work is time consuming. I can't say for certain, but I'd imagine you'll be paying $300+ for the work, perhaps much more. I wish you the best of luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi Howard,

Warmest regards and my heart goes out to you with your injury. I understand your frustration with being unable to buy your truck back as I had a '64 Falcon hardtop that I sold and tried and tried to buy back only to have the then owner actually openly laugh at me. ..

Stupid Photobucket wont let your photos show..  the good old greed factor, you know. Perhaps try another hosting site.. Aren't there some issues using the newer hood on that original annual? Or was it justthe box that wont line up properly? Still, I for one, would like to see your truck..

Hi Howard,

what color is your truck? I cant see your pics (photobucket wants to be paid now to show pics 3rd party. I dropped them like

a hot muffler a few weeks ago!) anyhow any luck on a build? I had a 65 when I was 16,17 yrs old along with many other Chevy

Trucks from 1955 to 1966.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Howard,

what color is your truck? I cant see your pics (photobucket wants to be paid now to show pics 3rd party. I dropped them like

a hot muffler a few weeks ago!) anyhow any luck on a build? I had a 65 when I was 16,17 yrs old along with many other Chevy

Trucks from 1955 to 1966.

It was a maroon color, that's actually the same paint job that when I sold it in 1990! Haven't had any luck finding a builder yet

My 1962 truck.jpg

I would love to build it for you but my problem is I wouldn't want you to be disappointed in the out come.

I don't know how particular you are and modelers are gonna be hesitant to build for someone who they don't know what their expectations are. 

I would take it on if I knew you would be happy with the result. I've been building for 30 plus years but I'm still critical of my work sometimes. Unlike some I don't value my time as a model builder. To me the enjoyment is reward or payment enough.

I'm particularly connected to this story and the truck because my first ride at 14 was a 1960 Chevy Apatche long bed 327/300 3 on the tree. Got my license in the truck in 1989.

I read too many car magazines and decided to do a frame off restoration at 17,  I dismantled the truck and never got back together. A bad choice on my part but I was neive and thought I had better support and people that would help me. I was wrong... I've moved on from it.  But I've always wanted to find one and do it right. 

As for the model, the 62 is an annual and could be achieved as an accurate 1.1 build. I have a 60 amt annual. I've never built it. I like the Amt short bed with modern tool. I've turned it into a longbed and have built several over the years. 

15176185-811-1.jpg

20170812_155001.jpg