Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st gen Bronco Leadsled Kustom?

Please build that bike ! It is beyond cool.  The Bronco is too !

Thanks Ray!    The bike will be built!  Some minor adjustments from that inspiration, but it will have a very similar look to it. I actually received the 1:24th scale diecast motorcycle that I'm robbing the tires from last night.   Everything is coming together so I can start on that soon.

Still working on frame cleanup and suspension, but knocked out the body and motor mounts last night...All in all it fits pretty nice, and should work.

IMG_4237.JPG

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4239.JPG

Edited by Impalow

More frame work.... got the rear-end and front suspension somewhat sorted.   The rear end is from the bronco kit, the brake drums and backs are from the 29' Roadster and the wheels and tires from the custom 48 ford kit.   In the front its AMT viper control arms and spindles, then the same brake parts from the 29...the rest is all scratch-built...   Its a bit odd for me to still have drum brakes all around... I know this... but the finned ones look so stinking cool.

It was fun trying to get camber angles correct and believable at full "aired-out" position while keeping the track width in check... but it seemed to all work out okay.    Next up is making all the rear links and arms.

Its a shame they don't just make kits you can paint and put together.....:blink:...

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

Edited by Impalow

Thanks JC and Joe! 

Man, all these crazy Bronco builds inspired me to pick one up for myself, but I don't think I'll be going as crazy as you have! What sort of craziness is in store for that old 302?

Joe its actually going to be powered by a hopped up flathead!  and the bike is going have the flathead 4cyl from a model A.... Trying to keep it all ford, but quirky enough to be interesting. ;)

Progress in the workshop has been slow... but its moving along.  I added the supports to the rear suspension, and then began the rear links/airbag setup.   The links are made from sandwiching a piece of .060 square between two pieces of cut .020... then sanded and drilled.   The airbags are (2) 5/16" OD orings around a custom aluminum piece I turned on the lathe.  The 5/16" OD works out pretty close to scale of a firestone 2600lb bag which is 8" diameter.  At this point I need to create the lower angled links, pivot points and shocks then the rear will be done. 

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4287.JPG

Edited by Impalow

Thank you guys!   this is a fun one for sure!

Made some progress on the rear suspension links, and back half of the chassis. 

Scratchbuilt pretty much everything...The air-tanks are a bit small in diameter, so I ordered some larger tubing to bulk them up a bit... basically just need shocks back there and the rear suspension will be done.

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

IMG_4344.JPG

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement guys!!! It really means a lot!

I made some progress  on the push-rod front suspension this weekend... Hopefully I can get the front links and airbags mounted tonight.

IMG_4363.thumb.JPG.36b6ba65247e2f24a5967

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.333af7919f83335

Then I started on the rack and pinion, still need to add the pinion part.. but its stacked tubing, RBMotion rod ends, and some mini orings from Banggood.

FullSizeRender_(1).thumb.jpg.398bd7c0c7cFullSizeRender_(2).thumb.jpg.d7b5ebee4ce

Edited by Impalow

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks bob!

Its been awhile since Ive updated... but mainly Ive been working on body cleanup, and fiddly little things that are time consuming but aren't very exciting.

I managed to skin the entire inside of the "bed" area with 2 pieces of .010 styrene, the first one was solid and the second had some structure elements in it for interest. Once this was installed i had to modify/remove the air tank mounts on the frame, things just got too tight back there.   I'm going to make some new brackets that bring them inboard a bit more.

IMG_4439.thumb.JPG.f78f99565c8d042e31d9c

IMG_4440.thumb.JPG.4b129627d55175907f8f0

Then I played around with dashboards until i stumbled on this one from the old parts box... anyone know what this is from?   its molded in a metallic gold... needs some cleanup and repair, but should be pretty cool

IMG_4441.thumb.JPG.0891facb0bf8ac4c4566c

IMG_4442.thumb.JPG.c59eb2ab3fdd876c3b894

Finally I started on my skeletal tubular seat design..  the plan here is to have a "leather" piece with a plaid insert suspended in middle of this by thin wire woven around the outside.... hard to explain.. but hopefully it will work.

IMG_4443.thumb.JPG.d45ffc23291e000f1c4aa

Thanks guys!   I managed to get some time in on the seats and door panels last night.  I remade the seat frames in a smaller diameter "tube"  then designed the inserts and sent them to the cutter on .010 styrene.   Then I layered the pieces together and bent them to shape, once the glue is dried completely im going to cleanup the edges and drill the holes around the outside.   Plan is to have these a light natural leather color, with a darker flannel inset.

FullSizeRender4.thumb.jpg.0ce683b37e40d3

FullSizeRender3.thumb.jpg.d81b2e41708591FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.e026a765719527f

I've been struggling big time with the colors on this build, but I think im finally settling in on a factory looking color option, the 1972 Ford winter green with a 2 tone tan/beige interior and maybe some gold accents.  I'm going to get some paint mixed up and start getting color on some of the pieces.