Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st gen Bronco Leadsled Kustom?

We decided to do a same kit build this year in our club (NorthCoast Auto Modelers) and everyone picked the bronco as the kit. For some reason, the low rear wheelwells on the early broncos make me think of 50s customs.  I decided to fully embrace this, and make a bronco convertible lead sled.

Here is a somewhat crude photoshop of whats going on in my head on this one (not the color and patina.. actually thinking a baremetal body).

PVBJ5187.jpg

So first things first it needed to be a bit longer. so i had to buy 2 kits... and combine them.

IMG_3548.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

Added about 5/8"behind the door opening... and about 1/4" to the door to get the proportions all to work.

IMG_3552.JPG

then i needed to tackle the angle back... so i used the front fenders from the scrap body.

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

After some sanding and some fenderskirts this is how it looks now:

working on finishing off the slantback with the extra hood... hopefully that happens tonight.

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3570.JPG

Edited by Impalow

F93166E0-0092-49D5-BEE0-A6AB6FA80F71.jpg

CD394BF0-1F82-4E63-A96C-7CFBF5DBFA61.jpg

First off, I like this project. Very original and cool. But, the skirts as the are, stick out like a sore thumb, in my opinion. The rear wheel well opening helps form a very clean body line. A shame to lose that. Maybe consider just a skirt that fits the wheel opening or something like the '58 Impala skirts. The piece of sheet stock doesn't really have much character, it's just flat. Maybe add a character line to with some half round stock? My $.02.

Thanks guys!  its going to be a fun one..

Look forward to watching you knock out another unique build. 

Are you going to build the bike ?    

Yeah.. the plan is to scratchbuild the bike.. my current plan is to use a hopped up ModelA Flathead 4cyl in the bike, and Flathead v8 in the bronco... subject to change, but seems like it could be fun.

First off, I like this project. Very original and cool. But, the skirts as the are, stick out like a sore thumb, in my opinion. The rear wheel well opening helps form a very clean body line. A shame to lose that. Maybe consider just a skirt that fits the wheel opening or something like the '58 Impala skirts. The piece of sheet stock doesn't really have much character, it's just flat. Maybe add a character line to with some half round stock? My $.02.

Thanks Rob!  I agree the skirts aren't 100% there yet.. Im still going to add some trim and some other detail to them.

My inspiration was from the old cruiser skirts which mostly share the same basic shape as the bronco rear wheel lip.  softening the edge a bit more, adding some trim and rock gaurds should make them look really close to these:  (its also getting a wrap around bumper and continental kit)

Mercury-TurnpikeCruiserSkirts.jpg

index_09.jpg

Here is a bit of progress from the weekend.. although not a ton... I did get the tailgate fitted and blended.   The center cutout will be for the bike to roll up, the continental kit will fold down to make the bike ramp and fill that area up visually.

IMG_3581.thumb.JPG.c14ec71b0d14b9d7d19ca

Edited by Impalow

You nutter. This thing is awesome!

I think the skirts could maybe use a larger radius on their top edge, or perhaps more pronounced roll-under like the original rocker panels.

And chopping up two new kits, too. :D

Thanks Rob!  I agree the skirts aren't 100% there yet.. Im still going to add some trim and some other detail to them.

My inspiration was from the old cruiser skirts which mostly share the same basic shape as the bronco rear wheel lip.  softening the edge a bit more, adding some trim and rock gaurds should make them look really close to these:  (its also getting a wrap around bumper and continental kit)

Sounds excellent to me. looking forward to it.

Thanks guys!!! im not getting much done on this... so updates will be sporadic... but oh well its spring/summer.

How are you going to modify the suspension to lower it?

Im going to just make my own new frame from styrene rod and square tube... Ive been wanting to make something with cantilevered airbag suspension, so i figured this might as well be the one... I want to try and keep the interior somewhat skeletal on each side of the bike, so you can see the rear suspension.  I need to cut the inner fender wells out of the front, then make body mounts.. then i can start working on the frame design.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!  i am having fun with this one... slow progress but fun!

Any progress updates ??

Just a little one Luke....

I managed to cut out the inner fenders and make some wide whites fit.

just in case anyone was wondering (lol) you can take 1/4inch out of the foose FD-100 Grille and it fits the bronco like a glove!  

Now i have to figure out what to do with this foose truck without a grille, guess that will be a future project..haha..

I think im going to use this old amt 1958 impala front bumper.. it seems to have just the right amount of character and wrap around. just needs some reshaping and to be a bit narrower.

IMG_4075.thumb.JPG.5d18b034df23adf87c0ebIMG_4074.thumb.JPG.c12189125e087a329da0a

Edited by Impalow

Thank you guys!  

Messed around with the bumpers a bit more last night... the front is pretty much there, the rear needs some more massaging but seems close.    Probably going to work on the windshield frame angle and chop next. (its just sitting there in these pics)

IMG_4089.thumb.JPG.55a8949da5ec3e557727bIMG_4088.thumb.JPG.46c3304d9a8a0260d5ccd

Edited by Impalow