Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st gen Bronco Leadsled Kustom?

Any updates available?

X2

Hey guys!   I do have an update!     Sometimes when I'm struggling to get over the hump and get motivated on a model, I need to paint something to get back in the groove.  Since I was excited about the seats, and they are basically stand alone pieces, I chose to go ahead and finish them up. 

First thing was to finish up the seat tracks.

IMG_4556.thumb.JPG.6ac79571999eb4b6ad713

I painted the panels in two tones, and added the kit upholstery decals to the inserts.  ( i went back in and patched the tip back onto the door panels, the back seat decal I used was just a tiny bit short for the door panel insert.)

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.a18e826133fb8e0

IMG_4592.thumb.JPG.cd68e339a2d60c9ca3e28

Then I alclad chromed the frames:

IMG_4597.thumb.JPG.3b052020288a3a2c8ed64

Last up was to add the grommets into the leather seats....  im going to try and get the parts married and laced up tonight with .0075 wire... Wish me luck, Im a little scared on this one!

FullSizeRender_(1).thumb.jpg.9b12e71315e

thanks guys!  So last night i tried my hand at the stitching. 

First up was the .0075 Detail Master Detail Wire... although it worked... it was sort of big and clunky.  Didn't look quite where I wanted.

IMG_4661.thumb.JPG.033e18f3aebee262581a2

So then i remembered i had some .0050 rigging wire that the aircraft guys use.... this seems better and more like what I imagined... The only issue was my first try I used to short of a piece of wire!  so i had to strip it and I plan on re-doing it tonight.   Its time consuming but hopefully will pay off.

IMG_4663.thumb.JPG.9b0b79f1bf50496b37999

Nice looking seats. Are you going to do one more pass with the wire, so wiring would look symmetrical?

Thank you!  yeah that was bothering me too... and I did try doubling up the stitch.. but then it got really messy around the outside. When i finished it them up last night, i decided to double up the corners and then pull the cross stitches perpendicular to the frame, instead of at the angle... still not prefect, but I'm happy with them.. 

Now back to the rest of the model,I kinda got derailed, trying to prove to myself I could make these seats.. haha.

IMG_4686.thumb.JPG.b2499b2e91f79b70def20IMG_4696.thumb.JPG.2c89145d45d6e05a88d17

• 2 weeks later...

thank you guys!!!  I haven't made much progress lately... just little things, and trying to think ahead.

I decided to go with an engine driven air compressor for the air suspension... I personally have never been a big fan of the exposed electric compressors, even on 1:1 stuff... so i felt conflicted about making them and having them exposed on the bronco.  So i decided to grab the york A/C compressor off of the AMT 1962 thunderbird kit.   Then I made some brackets/ a finned head and added a bit of detail to the bottom... mounted it on the flathead where the generator would normally live.

IMG_4740.thumb.JPG.0ab8e732dca2bf875518eIMG_4741.thumb.JPG.797f337acdab5f0f7d8e2

then i was able to tackle the exhaust.... planning on some side pipes here... but getting it from the engine to the side pipes was a bit tricky.

IMG_4801.thumb.JPG.b6abbeeec43ae3d773e73

IMG_4802.thumb.JPG.6b3a7a5512b1a9fc7c7ce

Finally I did a mock-up for our club meeting last night... which was the bronco build deadline... oops...  haha...  oh well, its probably going to look something like this Saturday at Toledo!   hope to see everyone there!

IMG_4812.thumb.JPG.2b512deb765ee6f451e04

IMG_4813.thumb.JPG.29610e3d49080f1d966dfIMG_4814.thumb.JPG.4d15a66f613123f984651

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!!!  taking a bit of a break on this... but ill be back to it eventually.

Congrats on winning the Ron Cash memorial award at NNL38 last weekend. I knew Ron personally and he would have absolutely loved this build !

Thanks Tom!!   That was a surprise!!!  I decided to take a little break from this one, i sort of stalled out on the detail stuff...  I plan on looping back around to it before next show season.. and have it completed by the NNL next year!   It was great seeing you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Please get back working your magic on this one. 

thats the plan!  Im knocking out a quick foose truck curbside for nnl east... and then I hope to fuddle around with this one all summer and have it done for the Toledo NNL... I really want to fully detail all of the plumbing, air suspension, brakes, etc... it will be a challenge to keep it super clean.

I did make progress on the motorcycle... the main profile is all programed and ready to cut out.... still going to have lots of scratchbuilding on this one... but that is how i like it. :DIMG_7325.PNG.80f5b14591d97f9beb5606fcaab664f6.PNGIMG_7324.PNG.6d1883f5033dc2ff2d8bfcc46fece6f6.PNG