Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 72197 1/32 900 pumper fire truck

First off It is not 1/32 scale, There are no dual wheels at the rear, This originally was a motorized kit.

Here is a comparison of the AMT 1/25th, Aurora 1/32 and Lindberg bodies, As you can see the Lindberg (red body) is much smaller than the Aurora 1/32 kit from the 60's

P1010425.jpg

I would try to swap for someone near an Ollie's for the kit at 7.99 and go no higher for inaccurate kit

greg

I found a sealed one on a Goodwill auction site last night  & put in a bid for $5.00 & found I won it this morning. Thanks for offering to pick one up for me. I wish we had an Ollies around here. It sounds like a great place for cheap models. Never heard of them until people started mentioning it on here.

Edited by forthlin

Okay, it's a Lindberg kit. Probably from an old Pyro tool. So we know the scale will be off. But other than scale, how is the kit? Does it look like it will build into a decent representation of the subject? Despite scale problems, I like some of these old Lindberg/Pyro kits.

I'm also curious about the old Aurora kit. How good or bad is that kit? I'd guess what I'm saying, is I would love to see a review or two. Or at least some more photos. So I can know more about these kits.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

First off, when these kits were new, they didn't adhere to any particular scale, they were designed to fit shelf space on store shelves. Box scale, it was called. That, in no way, describes accuracy or lack thereof. Also, many kits were simply unassembled versions of either promotional models or toys. Now, there is where accuracy will be affected. I imagine the kit is closer to model railroad O or S scale than standard car model scale. Modern manufacturers seem to only go by the modern standards, and probably haven't had any inclination to research the kit and state a more accurate scale. It may not even be representative of any particular piece of equipment.

I'm also curious about the old Aurora kit. How good or bad is that kit? I'd guess what I'm saying, is I would love to see a review or two. Or at least some more photos. So I can know more about these kits.

Scott

The Aurora "ALF 900 Pumper/California Fire Truck" is a very good kit.  It is in 1/32 scale, not 1/25.  It has opening doors, full interior, and neat accessories like hand-held fire extinguishers and spare nozzles.  Here's a thread about it at Scale Firehouse:

http://scalefirehouse.com/sfh_brd/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5418

The Aurora "ALF 900 Pumper/California Fire Truck" is a very good kit.  It is in 1/32 scale, not 1/25.  It has opening doors, full interior, and neat accessories like hand-held fire extinguishers and spare nozzles.  Here's a thread about it at Scale Firehouse:

http://scalefirehouse.com/sfh_brd/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5418

Very cool. The Aurora model does look good. Now I wonder what the Lindberg one looks like.

Scott

I have a few of both Lindberg and Aurora ALFG kits

The Aurora IS correct 1/32 scale, but not 100% correct in shape of the front of the cab

It should match the AMT 100 series 1/25 kit more

The area under the windshield should protrude more and have sharper curves at the outer edges

The Lindberg kit has ALWAYS been a Lindberg kit

I have the first 3 issues, 1 & 2 being cast in Red and including the electric motor you assemble yourself

(If you chose to include it)

The 3rd issue and latest (only #4) are both molded in white, and unlike the first 2 include chrome plated parts!!

Those 2 issues also have "Vinyl" tires, though I THINK the Current one includes the original 2pc styrene ones too

It is an enlarged version of their Mini-Lindy kit

Yes Single Rears not duallys like an Actual ALF 900

and NO underside detail at all

IF I get a couple Clear days, I can TRY to take pictures of some of my kits