Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMG_6200_zpsrtitvvbh.jpg

I just got my re-issued Century Coronado through Stanbridge's Hobbies here in Perth so after doing a bit of a review on Saturday night I decided to get stuck into it - even though I have way too many unfinished projects on the go. I am going to aim for the look I see in the very cool box art.  That's not normal for me but I kinda like this thing just how it is.

IMG_6202_zpsjfq4f3h3.jpg

After about 90 minutes I had the five pieces of the hull together.  No photos because my hands were pretty busy once I got started.  I used Revell Professional cement with the little needle applicator.  I ran a bead down both sides of the joint between the hull and the left side.  I let it sit and melt for a minute or so before I fitted them together, squishing the glue back and forward until it stuck good. The transom came next, again with glue on both sides of the joint.  Next came the right hand side, and as I expected, the joint between the two sides at the front proved to be a little challenging.  I let this lot set for ten minutes or so and then ran a bead of supereglue down the inside of each joint, just to make sure it was glued all the way through.  I was hoping to get the hull and deck into one piece without any filler.

IMG_6207_zpswxbbomb1.jpg

Here's where that plan came unstuck.  Every part on tis model has significant amounts of flash. Turns out that while I was using knives, files and sanding sticks to clean it up I got a bit carried away and lost a couple  of mm of mounting lip that really wasn't flash at all.  Didn't know until got the bits together.

IMG_6210_zpshzjjokus.jpg

The solution was to wedge a piece of scrap styrene into the gap and then flood it with superglue and a bit of zipkicker.  When it was nice and hard I took to it with sanding sticks and although I lost a hour or so I got it back into shape. I managed to do something similar on the lower edge of the opposite side as well. There's probably  a lesson there somewhere..... 

So, if you too are building one of these, I would suggest NOT removing any flash until you get the hull assembled.  What you will have to do is find all the randomly placed feed tags that appear on the mounting flanges. They will seriously upset your success at getting this together if you miss any and they are easy to miss.  A sharp Xacto and a sanding stick will fix them. 

Once it is all together, you can rip into the seams with a sanding stick and it shapes up quite quickly. With the five pieces joined together the assembly is surprisingly rigid.  It's nice to not have seams down either the middle of the hull or the middle of the deck that you have to deal with on some other boat kits.

IMG_6205_zpstmmipsko.jpg

Up front doesn't look too pretty at this stage.  The hole to take the chromed nose piece looks very lopsided and the vertical seam is none too tight. I ran a sanding stick acrss the opening and it only took a few swipes to true things up.

IMG_6224_zpsm8ltzjph.jpg

Now the chrome fits up square - sorry about the fuzzy photo!

IMG_6217_zpsllgcpnnv.jpg

IMG_6214_zpsoazx5f4c.jpg

While doing all this work I also noticed that the horizontal seam was going to be a complete mongrel to clean up.  When the deck joins to the sides it makes a concave area and naturally a bit of glue gathers there as well.  I really couldn't be bothered with the mess and smell of auto body filler so I picked a length of Evergreen half round and cemented that over the join.  Problem solved!

The thing is, as well as the concave joint, there are some really wonky lines running along the edge that would be a nightmare to foil.  The Evergreen now gives me a smooth straight trim that will be a pleasure to foil.

Remember I mentioned there was a bit of flash?  When the flash gets its own ejector pin, you're talking serious flash!  Easy to remove as long as you are careful around the tips of the roof in this case.

IMG_6218_zpsjagjqddl.jpg

Edited by alan barton
Wrong picture

Great to see a build thread on this one. I got this one and the Owens Cruiser earlier this year but I'm really not sure when I'm going to build them as they look like "something-tha-t-Ican-no-twrite". But they are such cool looking kits so I do want to build them some day. I'm exited to see how yours will turn out:)

IMG_6232_zpseeid4jci.jpgSo here we are with a first mockup.  I'm pretty happy with where this is going.  When I build a trailer for it, I will be looking at a late 50's land yacht to tow it because it is a pretty big boat.  Not out of scale, just big.

I painted the seats with Testors Fabric red lacquer.  Its the first time I used it and I'm very pleased with the effect. be warned that the paint maskouts indicated on the painting diagram DONT match the stitching design moulded into the seats.  I chose to ignore the stitching and put it where they said to.

The seats will fit in the fully assembled hull but to make life easier, it pays to pare down the tabs that help locate the very front seat.  They don't have to be removed altogether, in fact, I just trimmed down the left hand side tab to about half its original thickness.  This makes it easier to fit the seat inside the hull without stressing the joints.

That windshield is humungous but apparently correct for the prototype.  If I was going to customise this boat, I would consider fitting a modified interior, dash and windshield from a Monogram 59 Chevy or 59 Caddy convert.  I reckon that would add a bit of class and a lot of detail!

Cheers

Alan

Fun to see somebody finally build one of these. Also a little scary. Within the last month or two I finished building both the Lindberg/Pyro Cord and Auburn. And they were not very easy kits to put together and make look right. From look at your build so Alan, this old Lindberg/Pyro reissue looks as bad as their Cord and Auburn kits. I have one in waiting. But, now I'm little afraid to start it.

Scott

Scott, I say go for it!  It's really not that bad. Set an evening aside that you are not going to do anything else and do it.  I fully intended to put this one back in the box but once I got started it was pretty straight forward, more so now that you now about the speedbumps along the way.  The roof fits brilliantly , as does the windshield, big as it is. I'm hoping to get paint on this weekend if it's not too cold.

Once it's painted I expect it will only take an hour or so to finish.

Cheers

Alan