Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg '37 Ford convertible custom?

I did a quick search and found nothing on this kit. Just wondering if anyone has built one of these, as I'm looking to get one. The body looks far from stock, and the chassis has all modern pieces......... Is it a good tool? Are there any quirks with this kit I should be aware of?

Thanks for any info............. :)

Pretty sure that's a re-box of the Testors Boyd's Smoothster.

I had one of the Testors kits and found the plastic to be awfully soft; the frame got very warped in the box and I ended up using it for parts. The tires on the old kits had a habit of cracking and splitting with age. Very nice chrome though!

So if the new Lindberg version is molded in better plastic, it would probably be just fine.

TESTORS-53050-2.jpg

bsmooth3.jpg

Here is one I built back in 2001. The example I started with was the Testers kit. I didn't experience any issues with the kit. I think it's the best street rod kit out there straight out of the box. I have 4 or 5 of these in my stash just for parts. I recently got the 38 custom ford van kit (same kit except for the cab) and I don't think the tires splitting is going to be a problem anymore, as the material they are using now looks to be a lot better than the old Testers examples. If I were you I would buy it you can't go wrong. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also built it long ago. Great street rod. Plastic was fine, at least to me. Only thing I remember was kit is weak as far as positive part locators. I want to buy the sedan delivery version if I ever find the reissue.
Old pic, not very good.

MODEL- My '38 FORD CABRIO- TESTORS [01] lousy pic.jpg

Nice build, Jon........!!

I'm wondering, how much of the chrome from the nose down the side of the body is separate pieces? Is some of it molded to the body?

Thanks.....

The nose grill is separate as are the sections on the hood sides and the doors. 5 separate chrome pieces total. The sections behind the doors are molded and need to be foiled.

I had the original Testors release and never got further than doing some pre-paint sub assemblies and paint prep before loosing interest because I'm not really into modernized street rods like this, I prefer 60's and older style hot rods. I do think it was a well made kit. Good detail and parts fit and an incredibly accurate scale version of the real car which I have seen in person.

B)

Be Forewarned however that the "Vinyl" that Testors' used for tires in the original kits is awful. Some tires dry, shrink and split. Some don't. A wheels swap may be needed with any Testors kit. That said, I'm sure the new Round2/Lindberg version will have great tires. And most likely, better decals.

I didn't know this ever came molded in yellow, that's interesting. The old Testors one I had was all in white.

As for the tires... After buying mine back in '97 or '98 off the shelf of a hobby shop and finally selling it just a year or two ago, the tires were in perfect condition. But, it sounds like tire issues are hit and miss. Guess I got lucky.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, the different kits come with different decals. I did the Lindberg kit and it didn't come with those flying 8 decals, also mine did not come with the foil for the chrome strip that is molded on the the back of the body. My only complaints about the kit was the headlights and tail lights. I would have liked to see the tail lights as a separate piece from the body and a better thought out headlight lenses instead of just making it one piece out of clear plastic. Other than that its a great kit.

I didn't know this ever came molded in yellow, that's interesting. The old Testors one I had was all in white.

As for the tires... After buying mine back in '97 or '98 off the shelf of a hobby shop and finally selling it just a year or two ago, the tires were in perfect condition. But, it sounds like tire issues are hit and miss. Guess I got lucky.

B)

I never had any problems with any of my kits tires until after they were mounted on the wheels. I attributed it to the stretching to get them on the wheels.

Interesting, the different kits come with different decals. I did the Lindberg kit and it didn't come with those flying 8 decals, also mine did not come with the foil for the chrome strip that is molded on the the back of the body. My only complaints about the kit was the headlights and tail lights. I would have liked to see the tail lights as a separate piece from the body and a better thought out headlight lenses instead of just making it one piece out of clear plastic. Other than that its a great kit.

The body represents a modified '37 Ford Roadster, and the headlights are part of the fenders on the 1:1 car, and the headlight lenses are correct for the real car also, if you want them to be closer to the real thing just use the new instant chrome pens in the headlight buckets and if you REALLY want to get technical a small piece of Amber rod with a rounded end to represent the turn signal indicator bulbs can be added to the lower front just behind the lenses.