Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steering wheel "Wrap"???

I can't visualize how a flat plastic coated wire tie could be wrapped around the rim of a 1:24 scale wheel and look like a leather cover.  Not only it seems way too thick (and stiff), it will be also way too wide. Those things are usually about 1/4" wide.  that would be scale 6.25" wide!   Or is the model in question 1:8 scale?

Pete,

Nope its 1/25th scale..... BUT Bread ties are WAY MORE narrow then trash bag ties..... Being bread ties are more narrow, I can cut them to fit..... And then make sure they over lap a bit. The ones your thinking of are garden ties (green) and pretty wide about 1/4 inch, then you have the others that are black for trash bag ties, and those too are about 1/4 inch. Bread ties are under 1/8th inch I do believe and have a tighter gluing around the wire and its a bunch lesser gauge of wire too which will allow me to trim the sides down....

I'll be curious how it works out. Even at 1/8", that is still over 3 scale inches wide. And the thickness of the wire plus the plastic part of the tie seems way too thick to me. I also think it will be hard to bend that wire around the a 1:25 scale steering wheel rim (which is probably less than 1/16" in diameter). I think that even if you do it, the entire assembly will look too thick and strange. I hope that I'm proven wrong. :)

I'll be curious how it works out. Even at 1/8", that is still over 3 scale inches wide. And the thickness of the wire plus the plastic part of the tie seems way too thick to me. I also think it will be hard to bend that wire around the a 1:25 scale steering wheel rim (which is probably less than 1/16" in diameter). I think that even if you do it, the entire assembly will look too thick and strange. I hope that I'm proven 

Pete, Remember I'm only "trying it" to see if it will work. I plan to use a OLD steering wheel for starters..... we'll see if not then I move on to something else! 

Have you thought about taking two Xacto blades spaced apart accordingly the width you want.

And cut stripes of electrical tape,,,,. they carefully just wrap it around the wheel . Maybe with a little dab of superglue on the end

Ok, so this is a 1:25 steering wheel. The leather wrap on the 1:1 wheel was a a band of (perforated?) leather which was wrapped around the steering wheel then a piece of thin leather "string" was spirally wrapped around the rim and the leather band to make the band conform to the rim and to hold it in place.

As I see it, in 1:25 scale any perforations will look out of scale. So will any sort of a wrap added to the rim.  What I would recommend it so just simulate the spiral wrapping "string" of the 1:1 wheel.  I would use thin wire wrapped around the rim.  Something thinner than 0.010". Best would be some thin magnet wire extracted from an old transformer or electric motor.   Use thin CA to adhere the wire to the rim.  Once done, pain the rim in the color of the leather wrap (which might or might not be different than the rest of the steering wheel).  Done!

I am assuming that you are looking to replicate the look of this classic style steering wheel cover. If that assumption is correct, I would begin with a thin strip cut from a black plastic trash bag, that is long enough to completely encircle the outer diameter of the rim, and wide enough to "encase" the wheel rim (as you can see, if it is a little narrow, no big deal, because the inner edges, weren't always completely closed up, on the inner diameter of the rim--a touch that I think would add an element of realism to the project. Also, the inner edges didn't always remain uniform, as they traversed the rim, due to the torque applied by hands, through use, causing the cover to slip--I've used more than one of these things!). I'd use some small diameter armature wire, for the lacing, because I've seen some of that as small as about .005", which is 1/8" in 1/25th scale, which isn't much out of scale, at all. Begin applying the wrap by gluing the bag plastic flat, along the entire outer diameter of the wheel, then roll the edges "down" and around the entire wheel. Finally, wrap the armature wire, to replicate the lacing. As someone else mentioned, ignore the perforation, as it would be negligible in 1/25th scale. If I can find a bit of black trash bag plastic, I'll show you what I'm thinking.

Superior-58-0500B-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Sports-Grip.png

If you have an old transformer or electric motor for a slot car or model  train, you have plenty of really thin copper (magnet) wire for free. Or even a single strand taken for a stranded copper wire.  I doubt Michael's carries 0.005" wire.  I kept telling you that bread-tie wire is way too thick.  :(