Model Cars Magazine Forum

'80 Volare

restoman

This is the Fuzz Duster kit, but I'm building it as a 1980 Volare, not a Road Runner.

Lots of subtle mods to the body to make it look more like it should. I'm using one of my resin cast engines from the '71 Duster, with a MAD distributor, Fireball Holley carb and one of my resin copies of a dual snorkel air breather. Ditched the kit rear end and used on of my 8.75 copies. Headers are from the Hemi Charger kit - a little on the big side and the port spacing is wrong but... better than manifolds. 

Tires are from the '67 GTO kit and those nice cop car wheels are Fireball products. Love 'em!

The paint is Testors red, cleared with One Coat Clear. Not sure if I'll polish it out or not...

It's a basic kit, but with a little effort it's turning out all right.

Comments welcome. :)

Volare mock up 1.jpg

volare mock up 2.jpg

volare mock up 3.jpg

volare mock up 4.jpg

volare mock up 5.jpg

Looks good so far Mike, and some great mods so far. I just picked this one up today, mainly for the tires! What did you do to the body that needed correcting? I may go Pro-Mod, or factory stock Road Runner, I'm not sure yet. But it'll get the same engine swap you've done for sure!

Looks good so far Mike, and some great mods so far. I just picked this one up today, mainly for the tires! What did you do to the body that needed correcting? I may go Pro-Mod, or factory stock Road Runner, I'm not sure yet. But it'll get the same engine swap you've done for sure!

I eliminated the T roofs for starters. I didn't think I could get them to look right, so they were sanded smooth and the thin cut-areas on the underside got filled in. Spent a fair bit of time scribing around the side drip rail (which relly isn't a drip rail in 1:1) and the quarter glass moldings. They were almost non-existent in places.

Discarded that factory fuel cap and scribed a more-correct-to-me looking one in the body. Deepened the rear bumper filler lines, extending them fully from side to side.

Scribed some front fender extension seams and front bumper filler seams. 

Deepened the door and deck lid seams, as well as the rocker molding trim for some better definition. Ditto for the front and rear glass reveal moldings.

I also put in the lower front fender seam along the rocker panel.

The body contours on the front fenders and doors seemed too sharp to me so I smoothed them a bit.

The rear spoiler - not pictured - I cut into three pieces to simulate the gaps a real one would have. From the kit, the spoiler was too wide, so this lets me fit it properly. I'll paint it matte black but as of right now, I'm still undecided whether it'll get used or not.

Not done yet, but the foiling will be done in chrome, as would it would be on a simple Volare.

Also working on clear rectangular headlamps to replace the molded in ones. Might do the same for the front signal light lenses...?

It took a couple hours at least for all this stuff, but I like how it turned out. :)

Great looking build. Your extra work on body prep really paid off. The paint looks perfect in the picture. I personally like the understated look of the steal wheels and would forgo the spoiler. But it's your build so do it your way.   

• 6 months later...