Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya AS / TS / PS differences?

Hi guys, so I'm looking into the paint I will be using for my Tamiya Supra build, and I'm pretty keen on using Tamiya's own brand of spray paint. the only confusion I have is which one do I get? I assume the kit is plastic not poly-carbonate (I'm not good at spotting the differences). There are acrylic, TS, PS, AS, etc... Which would be best suited for me? I'm fairly new to spraying models so just thought I had better ask. 

Thanks

Chris 

TS--is for plastic, PC is for polycarbonate (RC cars). So you want TS for model cars. The small bottles of acrylics are nice for engine/detailing/interior. I suggest a bottle of clear red for tailights and clear orange for turn signals, Clear blue and red can be used for A/N fittings if you're into race cars, and clear yellow for headlights for modern GT cars. Vallejo acrylics are really nice too, I'm actually in the process of using them more than tamiya's now as I find they dry up even smoother than Tamiya acrylics. 

TS sprays are great paints, one of the best sprays you can get. Just remember, its best to use the same brands together, till you learn which brands work with each other and which dont. I'd use Tamiya primer/paint/clear just to avoid any issues. Once you have a stock of left overs, you can experiment with which brands you can mix.

X/XF for acrylics, the "F" is for flats (ex, X-1 is black XF-1 is flat black)

Invest in some Tamiya putty too. 

Good luck.

David

TS--is for plastic, PC is for polycarbonate (RC cars). So you want TS for model cars. The small bottles of acrylics are nice for engine/detailing/interior. I suggest a bottle of clear red for tailights and clear orange for turn signals, Clear blue and red can be used for A/N fittings if you're into race cars, and clear yellow for headlights for modern GT cars. Vallejo acrylics are really nice too, I'm actually in the process of using them more than tamiya's now as I find they dry up even smoother than Tamiya acrylics. 

TS sprays are great paints, one of the best sprays you can get. Just remember, its best to use the same brands together, till you learn which brands work with each other and which dont. I'd use Tamiya primer/paint/clear just to avoid any issues. Once you have a stock of left overs, you can experiment with which brands you can mix.

X/XF for acrylics, the "F" is for flats (ex, X-1 is black XF-1 is flat black)

Invest in some Tamiya putty too. 

Good luck.

David

Brilliant!! That's cleared everything up perfectly :) Thanks very much!!

Brilliant!! That's cleared everything up perfectly :) Thanks very much!!

You're welcome.

Make sure to check out the How To section. Pretty much any question you have has been asked and answered there many times. Also theres a Tips section that has lots of helpful ideas. And dont be afraid to ask for help. This forum has alot of really talented and helpful builders, one of the best online modeling communities I've found so far.

You're welcome.

Make sure to check out the How To section. Pretty much any question you have has been asked and answered there many times. Also theres a Tips section that has lots of helpful ideas. And dont be afraid to ask for help. This forum has alot of really talented and helpful builders, one of the best online modeling communities I've found so far.

I'll definitely refer to that section more often in future. I've only been on the forum for 2 days and it's members have already been an immense help to me!!  

You're welcome.

Here's the best way to search, thanks to Bill Engwer. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/74605-a-better-way-to-search-this-site/

I have successfully used the PS range on plastic kits, with Tamiya Clear to provide a glossy surface.

You can also check the TAMIYA website for painting tips. Many paint manufacturers have a tips section or even a forum :) 

This page should help:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/painting-with-tamiya-synthetic-lacquers-35?article-id=35#.WTBxVMZm3IW

Since you're in the UK look into Halford's paint too. I've seen some really nice paint jobs by people using that paint. I havent found anywhere local to me in Canada that carries it, but I'm hoping to get to try it out some day.

David