Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Dodge Bighorn - Done!!!

Interesting project.  Definitely a daycab.

While we're on the subject, since I have no talent for scratchbuilding (I can barely get the kits together, some times), has anyone ever cast the Big Al?

Looks like I might attempt to scratchbuild one. While looking on the web for photos etc., I came across a Big Al Facebook page.Turns out there was ONE Longhorn built with a BigAl. So Terry was right on the button when he said rare.

Edited by landman

About rare as hen's teeth!  I've heard that the Bighorns were more popular in Canada than the US.  Don't know if that's true, but that's what I've heard.  Wonder if the Big Al powered Bighorn was a Canadian or US truck.

About rare as hen's teeth!  I've heard that the Bighorns were more popular in Canada than the US.  Don't know if that's true, but that's what I've heard.  Wonder if the Big Al powered Bighorn was a Canadian or US truck.

Here's what i found. Once you open that go to Bighorn on the lower left and click on it. It should open to the page with the production figures.

http://olddodges.com/index1.htm

Edited by landman

Modified the Snap frame to accept the resin cab while maintaining reasonable height and centering the wheels in the fender openings. ended up having to remove the entire sleeper platform.

IMG_5738.JPG.17f41a8b9c31202ea457af26a8b33a87.JPG

IMG_5739.JPG.169095b5d894d68eed8afd5c98abeb52.JPG

Found a suitable location for the hood hinge.

IMG_5740.JPG.567005bcfb0524fd3b734493701d5449.JPG

Edited by landman

Jim, best I can determine from reading several forums on the topic the one with the BigAl was ordered by Allis Chalmers themselves.

....just saying in my book it's just too long...

There is a way around this, with some work, if you take the custom route. I always thought Big Horns were really tough looking, but the cab was too short and maybe the hood was a bit too tall. So what I did was to do a photo alteration (seen at my 'no time for these project ideas' thread) where I sectioned the lower part of the hood and made the cab taller. Wouldn't be a real Big Horn, but it might be an entertaining custom.

Edited by Russell C

Thanks for the info, Pat.

Jim would it be possible to post a couple of pictures of your Illini BigHorn? I've never seen one. I may be wrong, but it looks to me like this Frontier cab and hood captures the dimensions better than my RMR conversion. I always thought that the hood was a little too small or the cab was a little too big on the RMR compared to the real thing. I don't want to hijack Pat's thread here, but I would like to see how the Illini cab compares.

On this one I was going to be brave and do some brake lines....until I realized it has no brakes. So I rand lines to the airbags instead using this sketch and a bit of artistic licence.

8bag.jpg

IMG_5794.JPG.db267fd2a192f1aad1585e325064dddc.JPG

Edited by landman

Started blanking out those square headlights to add round one which will be donated by the '49 Merc. Started drilling some of the 800 or so holes in the grille. easy to get hand cramps.

IMG_5801.JPG.718b51b972364d385f1e7a4cc16123d4.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG.130cfad88079fa2ee027addd22c862e8.JPG

IMG_5800.JPG.c0d302e6a71c45015480582f7298451f.JPG

Edited by landman

I have some expanded metal mesh. I thought of cutting the grille fabric panels out but this resin is very soft. I'd have to find a way to do it so that there is something left to support the pressure of whatever I'd be using. Maybe starting in the center and working out.

For what it is worth, consider using window screen or similar as a template of sorts. Set the screen over the grille, hold it in place with some tape and have a blast. Once you get a hole drilled, insert a toothpick, piece of wire or ???? so the screen does not "walk" on you.

This part is never much fun and as others have said, and fraction of a millimeter off becomes an eye magnet to the builder. I'm fighting a similar battle on exhaust heat shields right now. Words normally subject to potential censorship seem to become quite tempting.

Good luck. Nice project. Keep us posted.

Peace

Started rummaging around for something to use as a base for the engine. Turns out the DAF 2800 I bought on eBay along with a few other Euro engines will do fine. It even has a similar front cover bottom.

591868822_Euroengines-Copy.jpg.315b92a8de0a675be33a7c9e7facc7f3.jpg

Allis_Chalmers_Model_25000_MKII_Engine_1

Started by removing the water pump frpm the DAF.

IMG_5803.JPG.73a1b39f2f236874aec3242ca61505d3.JPG

Then removed what looks like a water manifold

IMG_5804.JPG.bbe54fcbe919dcaf8477cc2483019833.JPG

Removed the compressor and injector unit

Patched some holes.

IMG_5806.JPG.62ae8bace4cbe3edc419ec98dd20788f.JPG

The DAF only had part of the oil pan. Made up the rest.

IMG_5805.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

Edited by landman