Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Roadster

Albert Moore

Hi All,

Here is my take on Revell's 1929 Model A Ford Roadster. It was kitbashed with the bobbed fenders from the Ford Rat Roaster kit, and the 1932 Ford style grill  that comes in the 1930 Model A Coupe kit. Added a MAD pre-wired distributor to the engine, and Ken's Kustom Fuzzi-Fur flocking to floor and firewall kick panel. The finish is Krylon Taupe and gloss black from their Shortcuts spray can line (decanted and shot through an airbrush). Thanks for looking, all comments and critiques welcomed.

roadster1_zpsnvw7giup.jpg

roadster2_zpsn9mn79fn.jpg

roadster4_zpshohtsqij.jpg

roadster3_zpscbjsdv8u.jpg

roadster5_zpsarirouik.jpg

roadster10_zpsr0qhwvgg.jpg

roadster11_zpsa79jq9ht.jpg

roadster7_zpss6jzyipu.jpg

roadster8_zpshm8dvv1r.jpg

roadster12_zps3jzkk1tg.jpg

I like everything about it with one exception. Color is great and goes well with the interior. Engine looks good. The only thing that bothers me, and it could be just me, the radiator shell seems to be too high. It doesn't seem to flow into line with the body.

Don

Thank you, Bob, Phil, Sam, Don, and Keith!

I like everything about it with one exception. Color is great and goes well with the interior. Engine looks good. The only thing that bothers me, and it could be just me, the radiator shell seems to be too high. It doesn't seem to flow into line with the body.

Don

Hi Don-

Perfectly valid criticism. After looking at the model vs actual cars with that style grill shell, I am inclined to agree with you. So, after carefully prying the shell free, I notched it until it sat on the frame in a lower position, and hopefully in line with the body better. Thanks again for your feedback.

roadster17_zpsbjfkoxpz.jpg

roadster14_zpsvlinxhvb.jpg

roadster15_zpsmygeoru1.jpg

Edited by Albert Moore
Added a photo

Wow, a fantastic version of the new Revell roadster kit! I love the color scheme and while I'm not usually a fan of bobbed / cycle fenders they actually look good here. It looks like a traditional rod you'd seen in Australia where they have to run some kind of fender, or, as they call them, "guards." I also like that you toned down the chrome by painting the front axle, grill, headlights, shock mounts and headers. All the chrome on these kits tends to give them a toy-like appearance.

In the first set of photos I immediately noticed the radiator shell being too high versus the cowl. So glad you took the advice to drop it down, it made all the difference! The way you did it (notching the sides) is exactly how it's done in the full scale world.

B)

(The only other thing is a personal gripe with Revell because they should have made the front of these kits sit lower.)