Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chrysler 300 - repaint

landman

My cousin brought me his 1955 Chrysler 300 asking if I could do something about his paint. It is a well built model with a hand brush paint job. It has been carefully dismantled, stripped and is now in primer.

IMG_5723.JPG.838381f251050637d48b8977e79bb339.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG.0986dbb9cf988e11ca613b970f10d8e1.JPG

IMG_5726.JPG.3bee376423da55ed8f824cc3df34c4f2.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG.3d811aac1455ee54568fc284934d68d1.JPG

IMG_5722.JPG

Edited by landman

Yep Krylon is the culprit here..... its reacting with the Duplicolor! (Not adhering) That paint, UNLESS your using it as a base, and then scuffing it to be a flat, to then spray over it with the SAME color, doesn't play well with others...... ALSO it can react to the adhesive on the BMF too! Believe it or not, it DOES...... Somehow that little adhesive leaches into the paint under it, as there had seemed the last time I tried using a adhesive backed stripping, on Krylon paint, lifted as the stripe was trimed and the trimmings removed, took the paint with it!

So a couple things could be an issue here, BUT Krylon paint is the start of both issues! I'd almost BET money I ain't got on it...... Reason I'm trying to get rid of as much Krylon paint as I can that I have..... It doesn't do well for craft uses.....

NICE save Pat!!!! Now I got a dumb question, how'd you get that pic with the garage to look like that? size-wise, the model looks perfectly scales to the real thing! -I got a couple cars I wouldn't mind trying that with if I only knew how!

NICE save Pat!!!! Now I got a dumb question, how'd you get that pic with the garage to look like that? size-wise, the model looks perfectly scales to the real thing! -I got a couple cars I wouldn't mind trying that with if I only knew how!

I took a photo of my garage and printed it on 11x17 paper. My 30' garage winds up being 15" or 1:24 or so. Then I put the car in front of it and shoot.