Model Cars Magazine Forum

For those of you who have followed my 51 gasser build its almost done and i want to have a period 50s drag team. So what would be a good tow truck for it. Doesnt have to be a truck from the 50s but any truck up to late 50s. What do you think because my mind is blank.

thanks for the info. Sadly i dont have the 53 like the ones you are talking about :lol: All i have right now is the 53 flipnose but thats not realy traditional sadly. Are there anyothers that would look traditional? The trailer i have taken care of. i will build a simple one just with one axel and so that the car fits on it. Would a 34 ford ruck with a chop and channel be good too. I was going to use a mpc 33 chevy van that i just bought from new york but it hasnt arrived yet. anymore that i am not thinking of right now?

Revell's 1941 chevrolet

Revell 1950 F-1 (two versions are out, bone stock or a custom with ardun heads..custom is currently out and can be built stock)

AMT 1950 chevrolet-great kit! theres stock or a custom version..custom cannot be built stock. but does have engine hopups.

AMT 1955 and 1957 stepside and cameo, all kits are same, except different grill for the 55 and 57, and cameo fleetside beds.

well thanks to you guys i went through my collection and guess what i found revells new 41 chevy, galaxie 46 delivery, 50 f1 :) . Just one question ryan mentioned that in the 50 chevy truck custom there are hop ups included. What are they. I have the 50 chevy with the beige one on the cover but thats a custom project and all that was in there was a crome air cleaner and that was it. Well now i dont know which one to build galaxie 46 delivery or 41 chevy B) . Thanks for all your help but now comes the question which one 46 or 41. I will keep u posted on my progress.

Since you already have the trailer, any pick up with a hitch will do. Just need a bed big enough to hold a few gallons of high octane aircraft fuel, tool box, coil, spare battery, misc ignition parts, belts, duct tape, and several sets off fresh plugs. Been there and done that.

i actually messed up.. In my straight six box i had fenton split exhaust manifolds, 2 and 3 carb manifolds, and chrome valv covers, but i believe those are from the 1951 fleetline, sorry. The 50 custom did have chrome valve covers and aircleaners, carb also i think. Now the 41 chevy pickup does have a custom intake with 2 carbs

First of all thanks for all your help. i realy apriciate it. M408 do you have pics of that truck u built? would love to see it. Would i need welding tanks also? I have decided to build the 41 truck because it has a six cylinder, matching the car. How would i replicate belts and duck tape? I have seen it in some cars but never saw it being replicated. Thanks again for all your help. I have to let you guys know the help i got here so far is more than i got on scale auto, thanks

First of all thanks for all your help. i realy apriciate it. M408 do you have pics of that truck u built? would love to see it. Would i need welding tanks also? I have decided to build the 41 truck because it has a six cylinder, matching the car. How would i replicate belts and duck tape? I have seen it in some cars but never saw it being replicated. Thanks again for all your help. I have to let you guys know the help i got here so far is more than i got on scale auto, thanks

My suggestion for the truck was not based on a model that I have built, just how we did it when I was drag racing back in the day.

Try "SoCalCarCulture Model Car Resources". It has a listing of companies that handle just about anything that you might need.

My suggestion for the truck was not based on a model that I have built, just how we did it when I was drag racing back in the day.

Wow a ex dragracer here on this board. :D Wow What kind of cars did you race, as in funny car gassser rails? Again thanks for the help and m408 sorry for the misunderstanding i thought u ment that you built a model like that. Well the fleetlines interior is together, steel wheels for the rear painted body partialy wet sanded. If i cant find anything to do for today on that car i will start the truck :D . Thanks again :D

Wow a ex dragracer here on this board. :o Wow What kind of cars did you race, as in funny car gassser rails? Again thanks for the help and m408 sorry for the misunderstanding i thought u ment that you built a model like that. Well the fleetlines interior is together, steel wheels for the rear painted body partialy wet sanded. If i cant find anything to do for today on that car i will start the truck :D . Thanks again :)

There are probably a few of us that had hot rods, still have hot rods, and are building more hot rods; Drag raced thru the '50s, '60s, and '70s; always had hi-performance cars...

We build models to redo some that we did in 1:1, and some that we wanted to do.