Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resurrected 61 Lincoln

59-Desoto

Not sure what there is to say , just one more old vintage kit I was able to give a new life to , all the chrome was redone painted in black lacquer water sanded and rubbed out, interior was flocked and printed in a semi flat white.and woodgrain was added  Laid in a box for six years or more before ever digging it out. It was almost scrapped for parts at one point. Hope it meets with your approval 

DSCF6879.JPG

DSCF6880.JPG

DSCF6881.JPG

DSCF6883.JPG

DSCF6884.JPG

Edited by 59-Desoto

I have two '61s in the pipeline now; note AMT forgot to include the B-pillars on the '61 sedan body.

I have to wonder while AMT was doing the tooling for the '61 (Late '59 into '60 perhaps?), Ford DID have intentions of making the Continental a pillarless four door, but changed up at the eleventh hour deciding to put the B pillar in?

The shape of the roofline screams pillarless hardtop, but maybe Ford was worried about side impact troubles with the suicide doors and all. Of course, they did a convertible so who knows??

Gene, I was so impressed by your build of this Lincoln that I just went on eBay and snagged a nice restorable one for less than $40. :D

I seldom do that..........buy on impulse, but inspiration is a great motivator and I'm very impressed with this one!

I have a  1959 and two 1960s. , ( all convertibles )

Ive never been a huge fan of the 61 and up body style myself.  But yours has me thinking more and more about it. Especially in the black with off white interior

I have to wonder while AMT was doing the tooling for the '61 (Late '59 into '60 perhaps?), Ford DID have intentions of making the Continental a pillarless four door, but changed up at the eleventh hour deciding to put the B pillar in?

The shape of the roofline screams pillarless hardtop, but maybe Ford was worried about side impact troubles with the suicide doors and all. Of course, they did a convertible so who knows??

Either that, or the potential for flexing/rattling? In any case, I thought the story was that AMT worked from a prototype that had the pillars removed for photography of the interior.

By the way, Bill, I found a trick for replacing the missing pillars on the '61 Continental and the missing gas tank straps on the AMT '57 Ford chassis: I took a piece of Evergreen #281 .060" H-column and sliced off one side of it. Not only does that give me the tank straps, but slicing it off makes the remaining T-section curl just enough to match the curve of the Lincoln's missing B-pillar. A little notch in the roof and between the doors to fit and it's in there solid. :)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

You are very correct Ron it is a 61 and not a 62,  thanks I make the correction, love to see your Sedan BTW  :) 

Here's my '61 Sedan. I built it from a restorable piece where I added the "B" pillar. I have an unbuilt convertible, and another sedan, which I am going to convert into a '62.2005_0818gmatcarlisle20050046.jpg

I also just picked up a builder '62 convertible that is waiting in line with my other '60's Lincolns.

AMT%201962%20Lincoln%20Continental%20ConI love that black convertible!!!!!