Model Cars Magazine Forum

The future of model car building has arrived Shapeways 3D printing

I realize that there are plenty of people using 3D printers to make parts now.But for me,it's all new..Try Shapeways.com..Great site,great products.I just picked up this 1/24th scale 66 pro mod Nova.Again,all done by a 3D printer.I gotta get me one of them for my house.

image.jpeg

image.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've been building plastic model kits since the mid-50's and have been enjoying it off and on since then. I really don't see a 3-D printer in my future at all, however I may order some parts from time to time made by a printer. The 3-D printer is another item I can do without just like a spray booth, air brush & compressor, and also a dehydrator. Of course if I had the room I would buy a spray booth in a heartbeat, but I don't right now.

I see a 'bout perfect 1971-72 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser on Shapeways that someone is offering. While the price IS steep ($127), it is the absolute best rendition I've seen of that car! What I don't know is if the bumpers and whatnot are separate, or if they're printed along with the rest of the body.

I'll have to drop him a line and ask, as that WILL be a real PITA to try and get chrome plated. 

I've felt the same way about 3D printing for some time now.........it is the next wave in our hobby because let's face it------resin casters are not getting any younger, and the kit manufacturers can only do so many subjects in the future that'll bring the best bang for the buck.

How cool can it be to someday when the technology becomes more user friendly, to make whatever you want right in your own place, and not wait (or hope) someone makes it for you?? ;)

EDIT: Here's the model in question............

1/25 1968-72 OldsmobileVista Cruiser 3d printed

Edited by MrObsessive

• 2 weeks later...

Do a search, there is a TON of discussion on this subject already on the site. You can be wowed, cowed or plowed by this technology but, what you need to realize is, you have to be able to design and model the printed parts in 3D, with a 3D CAD program, in order to print them. They don't grow on sprues, if you know what I mean. :)

Also, desk top printers in an affordable price range will NOT print to the quality you see in the above Shapeway parts. A desk top printer does not have the resolution to print with that quality. It will not be a solution, it will be a detriment. And again, without 3D parts, you will have a lump sitting on your desk.

Mark

Do a search, there is a TON of discussion on this subject already on the site. You can be wowed, cowed or plowed by this technology but, what you need to realize is, you have to be able to design and model the printed parts in 3D, with a 3D CAD program, in order to print them. They don't grow on sprues, if you know what I mean. :)

Also, desk top printers in an affordable price range will NOT print to the quality you see in the above Shapeway parts. A desk top printer does not have the resolution to print with that quality. It will not be a solution, it will be a detriment. And again, without 3D parts, you will have a lump sitting on your desk.

Mark

Hey Mark,sorry I never responded to you regarding Shapeways.I gotta say,I'm  not looking to build these parts and cars with my own 3D printer.Although that would be cool.I just think Shapeways.com has got some wild stuff.Pro mod,chassis,engines,cages,etc.