Model Cars Magazine Forum

blown straight 6

Farmboy

Here's my rendition of a blown chev 250(ish) straight 6.  It took a bit of research but the end result is a believable model.  It will go in the front of the Revell Chopped Austin it's sitting in for the mockup.  I did use one aftermarket part.  It's the throttle return spring on the rear of the blower.  I just had it lying around, but the whole engine is a parts box baby with lots of wire, solder, aluminum, homemade belts and bits and pieces.  The banjo bolts were made from seed beeds and pin heads.  Last thing will be to route the cooling hose on itself from the top out to the bottom in.  It's a drag car, no way streetable so no rad required.dun1.thumb.jpg.bdafe644cbfc3da6a6085d848dun2.thumb.jpg.a2d753ffe02284268afe3cd6e

The blower sits on a scratchbuilt intake manifold.  I gave it three inlets -- 2 per cylinder --, arranged to give even room for the exhaust manifold pipes I made from a set of v-8 exhausts.  each one had a 1/2/1 configuration. I cut them 'mirror' to each other, leaving a 1/2/2/1 configuration and reassembled them.  The whole thing fits properly on the engine in the following sequence:. 

single exhaust - dual intake - dual exhaust - dual intake - dual exhaust - dual intake - single exhaust

I will add a single header pipe to the exhaust manifold and end it with a small megaphone in the driver's side wheel well.

Mark, inspiration started with a recently bought 40's Plymouth kit with an L Head 6 in it.  I didn't know much about the engine and ended up on the H,A.M.B. (Jalopy Journal) for info.  Browsing around I found photos of sixes with blowers!  I dug around that, links, and other sites till I had enough info to  put one together. Actually I still have an old 32 Ford kit I built years ago where  I've simply glued a blower on the side of the 6 cylinder block and led two aluminum pipes (think of the Orange Crate) to the 'intake' on the other side,  I'll take a pic of it and post it here later.

Mark, here are a couple of pics of a decade ago attempt to have a blown 6 cylinder, kind of a combination of belt driven/direct Potvin blower style engine.  Pretty simple right down to the sideways carbs. I may upgrade it...

add1.thumb.jpg.f568b9c27f0bccfc232d6df7b

as always, comments and observations welcome

add2.thumb.jpg.c9773d1fd88f4e58ecdf65c70

and Dan, here's where the nose sits.  I cut the rectangle to fit the engine and pulley length then added some sheet styrene to build the 'wall'.  Bodywork is in the rough stage right now...add3.thumb.jpg.c9fad2b3feb5561b052234a5b

add4.thumb.jpg.a4beb2c825e8a719b36cc9acf

Love it! This idea could work well eith a slant-6, with the blower mounted at an opposing angle to the block for visual balance, putting the injecor stacks thru the hood at an angle - would have a real Tom Daniel-meets-Dave Deal feel to it.

Rusty, you read my mind.  I'm playing with the idea of making a pseudo 225 (is there a kit out there with one?) from a straight 6.  The intake manifold looks like a model in itself to make.  I do have an extra chevy straight 6, creating a slanted oil pan can't be that tough....

Nice work Jeff!  I have an actual Orange Crate with the Potvin setup in my stash to build.  I've been trying to amass accurate info on the fuel supply/surge tank/idle assembly on the blower before starting it but there have been many changes to it  over the years.   We'll see how it goes.  While looking at other Potvin setups, I kept running in to Paxton belt drive superchangers from the 40's and 50's.  Looks like a flathead project to me.   Again, thanx for the kind words everybody.