Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '83 Camaro Z28

Casey

Yeah, the MPCs had a good overall shape and with their Firebird counterparts were updated thru '92 by MPC and then AMT as the model years mandated.  But they looked a little unfinished around their window moldings and they were a bit impressionistic in undercarriage detail.

The AMT '83 had a somewhat dodgy rear hatch fit, but it was otherwise superior all 'round. Those headlight nacelles in the front fascia, scooped out deeper at the sides to curl back to the center to meet the hood at their tops?  AMT nailed 'em, where the MPC and Revell 1/25 kits shot those lines straight down from the hood edges for a blocky and oversimplified look around the headlights.

Gotta admit, the original release back in the eighties actually was a superb kit and considerably accurate. At least, far more than the hollow shells(Christ, the framing around the windows and T-tops on the MPC tooled AMT Camaro kits were terrible) that followed the '83 one 'til '92. Not to mention MPC cheaping out on clear headlights as always. I'm really looking forward to this one, wish we got a better shot at the side showing the improved decal sheet though.

Well, I didn't mention a Confederate flag sticker in the back window.  Thought of it but didn't mention it.

Been thinking about it all day at work, I think I was out of line, I know you were only joking and I shouldn't have let it bother me. I apologise. 

Edited by Can-Con

Been thinking about it all day at work, I think I was out of line, I know you were only joking and I shouldn't have let it bother me. I apologise. 

Honestly I knew I was kidding and I thought you were too.  Please don't let it bother you.  Sarcasm is what I revert to when wit fails me.

Completely off topic: are you related to Larry Milberry who authored a fantastic book on Canadair Sabres a few years back?

Edited by The Junkman

Back in the 80's, I sold Chevrolets at one of the largest dealerships in my metropolitan area. As one of the managers, I got my pick of demonstrators, and I had several Camaros from this era.

'83 Sport Coupe- Black/ Gray Interior 5.0 V8/Manual Transmission

'83 Z28 White/Silver Stripes/ Gray Interior T-Tops 5.0 V8/ Automatic Transmission

'84 Z28 Black/Red/Orange/Silver Stripes /Charcoal Interior with Sport Seats, T-Tops, 5.0 H.O./Automatic Transmission

'85 Berlinetta - Copper/ Beige Interior, T-Tops, V6/Automatic

'85 Z28- Copper/Beige Interior, T-Tops, 5.0/5-Speed Manual Transmission

I owned one:

1991 RS Convertible - Teal/Black Harrtz Cloth Top, Black Cloth Interior, 5.0 V8/Automatic Transmission (I have built a model of this one from the AMT Kit, with the All American Resin Transkit. It's still on my shelf.

I have never had an AMT '83 or '84 Camaro Kit, just the MPC in 1/25, that I built as a Pace Car, but I do have the Revell 1/16 '83 Z28 that I made into a convertible(what was I thinking?), Revell 1/16 '84 Berlinetta, and '85 IROC Z. which were nice kits, and the Monogram 1/8 Scale '83 Z28 Coupe and a 1/8 Scale '85 IROC Z. I do have  Revell '85 IROC Z that I have not built, and an AMT '92 Heritage Edition, also unbuilt.

I may have to pick one of these up. I hope that I can get a set of decals in a different color than gold, which while nice looking, is very limited in color combinations.,