Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300sl gullwing in Ivory/red

baycolony

Best engineered car kit I have built.  Painted in Gravity colors "Mercedes Ivory"  with red interior.  Embossing powder for rug.  Engine is plumbed and wired.  Not a bad turnout considering I broke the passenger A pillar after it was painted

mercedesbenz500sl2-vi.jpg

mercedesbenz500sl5-vi.jpg

mercedesbenz500sl8-vi.jpg

mercedesbenz500sl9-vi.jpg

Thanks everyone!  The pictures to me look kind of compressed.  Must be the resolution. 

Here is a link to more normal looking pics: http://public.fotki.com/GilCosta/foreign_and_exotic/1955-mercedes-benz-/

I knew about the radio being missing and also the omitted luggage rail,  but I didn't want to get into replacing them.  As is also known about these kits, although perfectly engineered, the instrument panel, (single chrome piece), and the hub caps are a challenge to paint.  For the dash I first masked with liquid mask, trimmed, primed, and painted before removing the masking.  For the hub caps, I sanded off the embossed Mercedes emblems, made circle masks, primed and painted, then added photo etch emblems from the Hobby Design set after chroming them with a chrome marker.

Edited by baycolony

Thanks everyone!  The pictures to me look kind of compressed.  Must be the resolution. 

Here is a link to more normal looking pics: http://public.fotki.com/GilCosta/foreign_and_exotic/1955-mercedes-benz-/

I knew about the radio being missing and also the omitted luggage rail,  but I didn't want to get into replacing them.  As is also known about these kits, although perfectly engineered, the instrument panel, (single chrome piece), and the hub caps are a challenge to paint.  For the dash I first masked with liquid mask, trimmed, primed, and painted before removing the masking.  For the hub caps, I sanded off the embossed Mercedes emblems, made circle masks, primed and painted, then added photo etch emblems from the Hobby Design set after chroming them with a chrome marker.

Those photo etched hubcap stars really save the modeler there. You seem to have made all the smart decisions.

• 2 weeks later...