Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1983 Hurst Oldsmobile -- Finished 8/15/17

KWT

Next WIP of 2017...

A couple weeks back I threw my hat in the ring of this years Cannonball CBP. The entry that I decided to go with for my first CBP was an 83 Cutlass with a slight twist... While starting that build, I decide that I would tear the plastic on my other Olds kit that I got for my birthday this year, and build the Hurst version along with it.

IMG_20170513_075227342.jpg

Having owned an 85 Cutlass after high school... though it was only a V6 and initially I was forced into it ( that's a whole other story )... I was excited at the announcement of this kit, to say the least. I have 2 of these kits so far, with the hopes of a couple more soon perhaps.

When I started the kits, I sprayed the interior of this one with what was supposed to be a satin burgundy color... ended up being a satin RED instead... when I say red, I mean bright az RED.. think kind of a florescent red with a pinkish cast. It was so ugly, I didn't bother taking a pic of it. Needless to say, the interior went directly into the purple pond, and has continued to sit there for the last couple weeks. I check on it every day or two, but not a lot is going on... This stuff ain't budging to well at all...

Fortunately for me, black and silver is black and silver... So I was on to painting the body. I did a little mix a matching. The black is Tamiya Black just cuz I was out of Testors. The silver is Testors One Coat Diamond Dust.

IMG_20170526_144855169.jpg

IMG_20170526_144835549.jpg

I'm in the process of adding the decals at the moment, while things on the other kit dries... Will be back to this when I get them all applied. Stay tuned...

Edited by KWT

Looking good!  I have this kit and I'm thinking about making it the '84 version with the reversed paint scheme and using the photoetch parts from Model Car Garage.  Looking forward to more!

Thanks, Mike.. I do appreciate it.

I actually have one more of these that I was planning on doing that to... Actually, not gonna lie, I'm planning on getting a couple more to do other incarnations. And one to make the 1985 Cutlass I had. I'll have to start practicing vinyl tops to do that one though.

• 4 weeks later...

Got some things done of this one this weekend...

Decals are 95% done.

IMG_20170704_101453091.thumb.jpg.e18f0ea

And I got the engine assembled and attached to the chassis...

IMG_20170704_095825834.thumb.jpg.fcd2961

Trying out my Molotow pens on the build in some places. I'm diggin' 'em...

Thanks for looking... stay tuned...

Got the wheels and tires done or the last couple days... added some decals from Joseph at Fireball Modelworks... love his stuff...

IMG_20170708_103341169.thumb.jpg.6f7938b

Kinda hard to tell from the photo, but I added some Tamiya Smoke around the lug nuts to darken that area up.

I have a gig tonight, so this may just be the only bench time I get for the whole weekend.

Stay tuned...

Looking very nice, that paint and decals are perfect, wish I could perfect the application of those tricky decals.

Thanks, Mike... I have to say, the stripes are little tricky as far as lining them up and overlapping... but they are very nice. They did a good job with these.

that's looking great! had a few of this body style myself back in the day as daily drivers.

Thanks, Tom! I had an 85 back while I was in highschool... I loved that car. They really hit a home-run with these.

Lookin' real good Jeremy!

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate it... I wanna see what you can do with this one.

I've been working on getting my sons car road worthy all weekend, so not a lot of bench time going down. Did get just a little of this worked on last night and this morning...

Got the interior done: Tamiya maroon, testors rust, and a silver sharpie.

IMG_20170716_065502769.thumb.jpg.4dfc4c9

I held the maroon back a little farther than normal to give it a little texture in places.

And I got the wheels/tires mounted...

IMG_20170716_065539207.thumb.jpg.25a89fe

I like how this kit seems to just fall together... more to come... Stay tuned...

Really nice workmanship Jeremy, i also have that kit to build soon and was from your posts that i went and purchased clearly scale hood and euro nose to use, i only hope mine will look half as good as yours!

Started on mine a couple days ago, was wondering how was the roof on yours?

After spraying a coat of black on mine I noticed how bad the roof was, high and low spots. I had to block it out smooth before I continued with more coats of black. Right over the passenger door window was particularly bad.

LOL, I use testors rust for woodgrain too.

BTW, I've found that a few of these cars supposedly came with light grey interior instead of the dark red. Here's a link to one. Says it's an '83 and it's got the right colors and decals but it looks like an '84 grille in it. ['84s were silver with black bottom]. Not sure what's really going on with it. [repainted '84? clone??]

http://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/78455

• 4 weeks later...

Really nice workmanship Jeremy, i also have that kit to build soon and was from your posts that i went and purchased clearly scale hood and euro nose to use, i only hope mine will look half as good as yours!

Thanks I do appreciate it... You won't be disappointed with the parts... just give them time to get here lol.

Started on mine a couple days ago, was wondering how was the roof on yours?

After spraying a coat of black on mine I noticed how bad the roof was, high and low spots. I had to block it out smooth before I continued with more coats of black. Right over the passenger door window was particularly bad.

LOL, I use testors rust for woodgrain too.

BTW, I've found that a few of these cars supposedly came with light grey interior instead of the dark red. Here's a link to one. Says it's an '83 and it's got the right colors and decals but it looks like an '84 grille in it. ['84s were silver with black bottom]. Not sure what's really going on with it. [repainted '84? clone??]

http://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/78455

Sorry for taking so long... this one got buried pretty fast. The roof on this one has a small line going across the front left to right... not terribly bad... It's not too noticeable from the top unless you're looking for it... It's not noticeable from the side at all...