Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks to your excellent in focus photos I see a lot of great details and ideas here.Great stuff overall.As to headers,Maybe thing about some short  dragster style zoomies with a set of tucked out of sight sort of regular pipes accessed via a cut-out style valve that would allow use of either system on demand.

I would agree, zoomie style headers would work with the Ardun. Another option is bending up some gasser style headers that snake up and dump down over the rails. But in my mind Ardun and gasser are two different styles, but it is a rat, so whatever looks cool will work. 

Also: Those wire wheels are nice. Which kit are they from?

An unorthodox suggestion, but what if you curved the header pipes straight up, turn them straight back into a collector situated just above the roofline and then extend with a pipe that ends at or near the back of the cab? They'd be very prominent but it sure would be different...

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2017 at 9:43 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

<SNIP> Take that ARDUN engine for example. To build a real one like this is $25,000 all day long so the odds of seeing one in a rat rod truck (where the budget is typically low-buck) are extremely low. People would also probably stand there looking at it and make comments like, "What a waste of an awesome and expensive engine." But, it looks really cool in the truck!

<SNIP>

Dennis, the really cool thing about those high demand items, there are replicas! :-) This one from Summit racing is the block and replica heads for around $500

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pyp-3123?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-p-ayr&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjYavzuK-4gIVwbXACh3QLQwvEAQYASABEgKyCvD_BwE

4 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Dennis, the really cool thing about those high demand items, there are replicas! :-) This one from Summit racing is the block and replica heads for around $500

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pyp-3123?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-p-ayr&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjYavzuK-4gIVwbXACh3QLQwvEAQYASABEgKyCvD_BwE

You realize that is a plastic mock-up engine?

The only source for modern day manufactured replica Ardun head assemblies is Ardun Enterprises by Don Ferguson and those sets START at $14,000. 

Edited by Dennis Lacy

8 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

You realize that is a plastic mock-up engine?

The only source for modern day manufactured replica Ardun head assemblies is Ardun Enterprises by Don Ferguson and those sets START at $14,000. 

No, sorry,  did not pay that much attention.   I recall reading this article a while back, and thought they were again avail, but had no idea about the price. Sad, they look so good...

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

I am pretty sure this build has been completed and it is definitely one cool rat.  There was a question about headers.  A few years back in one of the magazines there was an article on building  headers using paint brush ferrules.  It was fairly simple, cut three or four pieces of solid copper wire or solder for outtubes , drill the ferrules for  these, epoxy into place, finish and paint.  Here is a picture of a set I built and yes you will notice they are a bit too long and do not clear the door.  That would have been a simple fix to cut the ferrule shorter or to have used a shorter end tube.

Rat Rod 012.jpg

Rat Rod 029.jpg

• 1 month later...