Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mild Kustom 49 Ford - Tribute to Blair Pletcher

Tyler62990

I'm participating in a group build on Facebook to pay tribute to the late Blair Pletcher. He was a forum member here, but extremely active on Facebook where he never hesitated to share ideas, motivate people, and give tutorials on everything from scratch building to airbrushing cheap craft acrylics. His knowledge, coupled with his very friendly demeanor, helped young bucks like me learn. For that, I'm forever grateful for the few short years we spent bouncing ideas back and forth and complimenting each other's work. Rest easy brother.

Well, onto the car. I started off with the AMT 49 Ford kit. I always loved the look of these cars as is, so no sectioning, chopping,, rolled pans, grill swaps, etc. The only thing it needed was to be a bit lower, get a flashy paint job, some new wheels, and an engine that sets it apart from the others. The door and trunk handles were shaved and the body was painted Testor's White Lightning pearl lacquer and OPI My Gecko Does Tricks nail polish sprayed over Duplicolor white primer. I'll take some new pics soon to better highlight the paint. It's actually a green/gold flip flop with green metal flake mixed in. The wheels were swapped for a set of chrome reverse deep dishes that came in the AMT 53 Ford Pickup. Whitewalls were painted on using the kit tires. The engine is the kit supplied Caddy mill with VCG Resins' Weber cross ram manifold. A few other little details here and there wraps this one up. Thanks for looking! 

IMG_20170615_031855357.jpg

IMG_20170615_031938601.jpg

IMG_20170615_032205172.jpg

IMG_20170615_032233540.jpg

IMG_20170615_032307002.jpg

IMG_20170615_032329398.jpg

IMG_20170615_032342225.jpg

IMG_20170615_032628987.jpg

IMG_20170615_032748323.jpg

Congrats Tyler, you've nailed down that period look and stance for your Shoebox! The Paint combination is a knock out and with the mild custom work the entire scheme works. I'm also a big fan of these Fords and have one on the bench currently, also biilding it more period like. Your chiice of updating the Caddy really pops it into the present day, this would be a ride to be proud of!

Cheers Misha