Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Torino GT David Pearson's Gold # 17

Fast Floyd 2

Here's a Original Issue AMT 1968 Torino GT re-builder, That was built as a Nascar back in the day. I have taken it apart, Stripped, and repaired the passenger side "A" pillar. Now I want to build the Hallman/Moody David Pearson # 17, not the one everyone thinks of First. The one I want to build is the Gold #17, that ran a 366 engine, It was the Early 68 Season before the rule change allowing the 427's to be run on the tracks. But I'm having a very hard tine finding , the correct decals. Here are a couple of pictures of the real car and then my Torino. Please, let me know what you think about my project. Thanks for looking, & Enjoy.
vidPearson17HMTorinoGold1968vi-vi_zpsikb
th%204_zpsra4nvgwm.jpg
DSC04626_zpskegxcsfe.jpg
DSC04495_zpst0vzfex5.jpg
DSC04494_zpsrsq45vnd.jpg
DSC04493_zpsdagjg5ts.jpg
DSC04488_zps0xjzx7x1.jpg
DSC04437_zpsluacznhs.jpg
DSC04436_zpsp80fxipa.jpg
DSC04435_zpsjc7uduxy.jpg
DSC04434_zpsk7gsx1is.jpg

Southern Motor Sports Hobbies used to sell the decals for that car, might still make them. They were laser printed by them. The striping is weak on the sheet but the rest of the markings are there. You can get a Keith Marks 69 Torino GT sheet and reshape his stripes to replicate the 68 striping.

I would have used a Polar Lights Talladega for the body and reshaped the nose or added the standard Torino nose from the AMT body to the PL body,

Thanks Guys, I can find all kinds of photos of the Blue and Gold # 17, but the solid Gold #17 is quite elusive, as are the Decals. I've found bits and pieces of them on several different decals sheets. Thanks Daddyfink, for the pictures. I didn't have the top Action shot.

The car is featured in the Paul Newman movie "Winning" from 1969

1968 Ford Torino GT

Image result for David Pearson torino

This BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH with Photobucket is just too much!!

I knew something was odd when I couldn't even

And now 400.00 dollars just to post pics!!

I would have loved to see what you had there.

David S.

• 1 year later...

I, too, have contemplated building this gold Torino.  I found this forum post while looking for images.  Just a note on the 366 engine size.  Ford ran 427 engines starting in 1963 and continued using them through 1971.  NASCAR cars are limited to a pounds per cubic inch rule.  On smaller tracks, a lightweight car was preferred, so the 427 engines were de-stroked.  The #21 ran a 396 sized FE tunnel port engine, for example.