Model Cars Magazine Forum

Citroen 2CV Club / TAMIYA / 1:24

Mr.Zombie

Hello,

This is my latest build, it's a Citroen 2CV Club from 1984. I had the real car for a while, and thought it would be nice to have a model of it. I began the build in February 2016, hoping for a fast project, and planing to build it out of the box, just weathering the body to match the real car. I ordered the Revell Charleston 2CV as it's the same year as my car was, but upon closer inspection I felt that Revell's Citroen is poorly executed. Many details are wrong, the overall shape is a bit off... So I ordered the old, but way better and more accurate TAMIYA 2CV and upon inspection of the sprues decided to do a hybrid between these two.

Unfortunately, only few pieces form the Revell box are actually better than TAMIYA's. Even items that seemed better, or more delicate (air filter housing, grille), compared to TAMIYA and the real thing the shapes or dimensions are wrong. I ended up using the roof around the back window, as it's a separate part in Revell's box, unlike TAMIYA where it's molded together with the rest of the body. I used the hubcaps, the battery and some other tiny bits.

Other things I made from ground up, as mentioned, I planned to build the model straight out of the box, but the finished product utilizes about 160 scratch build details.

The most important things I added are the folded roof that I made out of masking tape and wire, the revolver shifter is now out of 10 pieces as opposed to the original part where this is only one element, I sratchbuilt the turn signals, as they are wrong in both TAMIYA and Revell boxes, wipers which are now out of 7 elements each and the inner structure of the body.

I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, there are some neat moments here and there, but I also managed to make a few mistakes, and I'm not entirely happy with for example the wheels. Also, the color is a bit suboptimal for weathering purposes, if my car wasn't blue, I'd never go for that color. 

Pictures are not very best, my buddy who is a genius in setting up the camera for me had a bad day, and though he did it twice, the studio pics are not as perfect as they are when he is in the mood to set up stuff...

Thanks for checking out my build, see you next time.

35300289556_7b273f4fa7_b.jpg

34529842873_1ceb345bc1_b.jpg

35300290856_2895b89d99_b.jpg

34952566610_8a7cd897c0_b.jpg

35300290766_f2e216a316_b.jpg

35300290676_33b617f835_b.jpg

34952566320_7436ff0fcc_b.jpg

34952566230_4d14c665a9_b.jpg

34529843513_ea4dace72b_b.jpg

35173106322_fb9377c569_b.jpg

34529843353_c7502e93d0_b.jpg

Have to disagree with you Adam; you DIDN'T make ANY mistakes and your friend's photography is TOP NOTCH!

I concur. This is scale modeling of the first order, and if you're disappointed in the studio photography it's hard to see why The textures, weathering, paint surfaces and details all scale perfectly and the photography, to my eye, captures your superb work and presents it very well indeed..

Just wonderful. The weathering is subtle and perfect, the attention to detail is spot-on (dig those plaid seats!) and the build quality is first-rate. While I like the Revell kit a lot, I do believe that the Tamiya kit sits much nicer. This is an excellent, excellent model.

Have to disagree with you Adam; you DIDN'T make ANY mistakes and your friend's photography is TOP NOTCH!

Well, I know how sharp the photos can be when my buddy really wants :).

And yes, I made mistakes. Wrinkles in the Bare metal Foil on one of the mirrors, the wheels could be a lot better...