Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curb Feelers

I want to add curb feelers to my 1949 Mercury Club Coupe similar to this:

walt_disney_cars_sheriff_gallery_1.jpg

But I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.  I'm guessing that actual curb feelers are between 10" & 12" long.  It looks like they just clamp to the frame.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the curb feelers for Sheriff?  Got to keep the white walls clean, ya know.:D

Edited by Jim B

Wow, I haven't seen curb feelers for decades. Yes they were 'bout 10" long and did clamp to the lower sheet metal of the body. They didn't go all the way back to the frame. As far as making some, I would be in the same boat as you and would have to get reference photos (Google) and give it some though on how to construct them.

I remember curb feelers on cars in the 50's.  My grandfather always added them to his cars, two feelers on the passenger side near the front and rear wheels, never on the driver's side.  I would think the driver could see the curb from his vantage point.  Also you never saw them on a lot of cars where I lived in the suburbs as there were not any curbs but when you went into the city (Detroit) you saw a lot of them.  Kids would "kick" them when walking by to hear them "twang".  The driver listened for the scraping noise of the feeler wire to know when he/she got close to the curb.

I've made scale curb feelers for models using the smallest springs I could find, like the tiny ones you would use for a carburetor return spring....... just stretch it out a bit, drill a small hole in the bottom side of the bumper and glue in the spring.

The ones I remember seeing were mounted at the back edge of the front wheel well opening and the front edge of the rear wheel well opening. The cheep ones were just a wire much like a radio antenna with a very small round tip on the end. They would make a very scratchy sound when they hit the curb. The better ones were the spring type as they would bend somewhat and they seemed to amplify the noise better. They usually were mounted to the bottom edge of the body work with a small C clamp with a set screw to hold them in place.   

Curb feelers are designed to set up a vibration in the fender before you scraped the curb. 

Since in the US the passenger side faces the curb there was no reason to put them on the drivers side.  It is against through traffic laws to park facing traffic so the drivers side should never be next to the curb.

That would work too...... Use a piece of a round wound D string.

Or, even those "ball-headed" straight pins that come with new clothes,such as dress shirts--those have their heads dipped in plastic, to make the very small ball ends, which are painted silver already/

Art

Hey guys - It's a cartoon, Artist license is permitted, I was going to suggest guitar string since it's wound and would give the spring appearance. Haven't watched 'Cars' lately to see if they did both sides and agree it gives balance, Usually sold in pairs at western auto back in the days so most used them front and rear passenger side

He also needs the CP 100 sirens on the roof.

greg 

Edited by GLMFAA1
spelling

Since in the US the passenger side faces the curb there was no reason to put them on the drivers side.  It is against through traffic laws to park facing traffic so the drivers side should never be next to the curb.

Except in parking lots, one way streets, industrial areas....

Hey guys - It's a cartoon, Artist license is permitted, I was going to suggest guitar string since it's wound and would give the spring appearance. Haven't watched 'Cars' lately to see if they did both sides and agree it gives balance, Usually sold in pairs at western auto back in the days so most used them front and rear passenger side

greg 

Some curb feelers had springs, others were just solid spring steel wire, plated.  I've seen both types in the past.

greg 

Thanks for all of the ideas, guys.  I appreciate it.

And, yes, I am missing the CP100 sirens for the roof.  Not exactly sure how I'm going to make those either.  I have a 1/32 Revell Mack CF600.  Maybe there is something in there I can use.

Cool stuff, guys...Don't forget the necker knob for the steering wheel!!!  They were quite popular back in the day 50's & 60's!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.5db1bfe655cc7838b13db43image.thumb.jpeg.74d61d2040c883a4f3b5448

Edited by geewhiz
Added photos