Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quickie build snap W900 Thing 1 and Thing 2 now Thing 3 & lastly thing 4

Got a couple of friends who drove down with serious health issues and figured a little pick me up might be in order.  So, the 1/16 Bison project remains on the back burner for now.  Totally box build of the 1/25 "snap" W900 other than the addition of the visor.  2 are in the works, here is the first. 

"Road" is 230 grid sandpaper and the picture was some cheap framed thing I found at Dollar General in the scratch and dent section.  Serves the purpose. 

This surely is a nice little kit and glad Hobby Lobby seems to usually have them in stock.  With the coupon, it works out real good.  I hope it stays around a while.

Should have the second one done in a few days and will post.  Just got to see what is in the paint and decal stash

Prayers for my friends would be appreciated.  Thanks

Peace

Edited by olsbooks

Oh, you know I dig this one, Man....Love that orange paint scheme....These are some of the best kits to come back around in quite some time.....Slump buster big rigs are what they are, for sure....But they look the part, and then some, so kudos to Revell.....Great job, Man....

I do pray for you guys in your time of mourning.....So sad for your losses....

Edited by kilrathy10

Thanks JT.  Confession....it is just the lighting that makes it look orange. Sorry.... 

When Dollar General gets the $2 cans of enamel in orange, I am on it.  It IS what was wanted as the fellow getting this is in eastern Tennessee.  Go Vol's!

Peace.

Well, if the red/orange one is "thing 1", then this will be thing 2.  Again, a quickie other than a visor and a poorly made decal for the drivers door. Passes the arms length test and grand kids will probably get hold of it soon enough anyway which is fine. Paint is GM blue engine paint.  Black and gold stripes were some 10+ year Titanic model and model airplane decals.  A little off/crooked and short but considering the number of pieces they fell crumbled into, will do in a pinch. 

The crooked side hood emblem bugs me more than anything. SURELY that happened when the decal setting solution dripped down LONG after it was perfectly placed and set aside to dry.  That is the conspiracy theory I will stick with for the moment anyway..

Funny, I just finished it up and got a call from the guy...He never knew I messed with them (I tend to stay real quiet about such things)."Hey, I just found out you built that model upon the shelf at the truck stop...Why didn't you say something?  Would you build me one?" 

That (to me) is how it is supposed to work.  "sure...I will have it to you this evening.".

A little patience, faith and keeping quiet pays off at times.  Thanks for the prayers.

Oh, and for the photography folks...the "red/soft filter?"  try putting your finger over most of your flash. Cant beat the price.

Peace

Edited by olsbooks

• 1 month later...

Those look pretty darn nice !   I'd be happy with those on my shelf !   I'm going through a pretty high stress time at my job.  I might stop at Hobby Lobby and pick one up to build as a "fun quick build" just to ratchet down the stress level.  Thanks for sharing.

Those look pretty darn nice !   I'd be happy with those on my shelf !   I'm going through a pretty high stress time at my job.  I might stop at Hobby Lobby and pick one up to build as a "fun quick build" just to ratchet down the stress level.  Thanks for sharing.

I agree. First of all olsbooks, thanks for sharing this build. It gave me the inspiration to crack open my own W900 (picked up at Hobby Lobby in Hartford CT) and build it. With work pressure piling up on me, I was so happy to complete my build (totally OOB) in a couple of weekends and a week of evenings. Love your photos too.

kw1.jpg

kw4.jpg

kw5.jpg

I picked one up yesterday at Hobby Lobby -- with the weekly 40% off coupon it was only $16.  Can't beat that.

I started on it last night -- nice kit.  Very little flash, nice molding.  Just some light sanding needed on the parts and I never opened the tube of Tamiya putty (which is a joy).  Since this is a "just have fun build", I'm not going to worry about that stuff this time.

And best of all -- I was having fun and forgot about work for a while :-)

I'll spend this afternoon on it and post some progress pics over on the "on the workbench" page.

Thanks olsbooks for the idea and prayers to your friends !!!   I hope they are doing OK.

Very cool builds!  Nice shots.  Even better stories!

Well, the dude that wanted thing 1 and thing 2 wants 2 Petes now.  Far from lucrative but it keeps me out of jail or the insane asylum and covers material costs. 

I got to go back and work on the Peterbilt emblems a bit and straighten the visor,otherwise call it done and another slam together pure stock build. 

Like many have said over the years, getting the wheels/rims to align on these kits is a pain.  On the rears, I simply left out the "spacer" between the duals.  It is such a thin gap only the rivet counters will ever notice and eliminates a lot of misery while helping out looks quite a bit. 

The other thing was the "pin" used on the headlight lenses really screws up their appearance.  I simply shaved it off, scuffed the entire back side of the lens with 400 grit and glued it in.  The "divider bar" is just a quick swipe of silver with a toothpick.  One of those little things that does not take much skills or money but makes a big difference IMO.

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks

Thanks for the update Olsbooks, that Peterbilt really looks the business. I have a whole new respect for these snap-kits, some of the details like the hollowed-out air horns and clear lamp lenses put them head and shoulders above some other 'real' kits, I'd say.

Thanks for the comments.  The red one cleaned up pretty good.  "Reaming out the horns and lights?"  Nah.  A little cheap water base paint slopped inside the horns and  orange with clear over the top on the lenses.  I'm too lazy and cheap for much more than that.

Thing 4 turned out real good and went for the full "drama" shot.  It is actually dark blue and went together with no fuss.  I normally weather and beat up models but the guy wanted a shiny one so here ya go.. For the pix, I just put a couple of layers of green painters tape over the flash.  Cue Twighlight Zone music.  Just a hint of camera shake really whacked the stacks and several other pieces out I can only guess as everything is straight. I promise!!!!!   It was a long exposure.  Then again, maybe it was the death ray from Andromeda. .

Ahhh, night shots.  Always enjoyed doing those.  Hides a multitude of sins - doesn't make them go away but something to be said for the cover of darkness when it comes to a plastic model kit anyway..

Peace

Edited by olsbooks