Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shadow box garage diorama - Fujimi garage set

Jantrix

I've been wanting to do a shadowbox garage scene dio for a while. I finally found a box. Good size. Plenty of room for two models. Hobby Lobby item, its got a nice patina. In scale, the interior dimensions are 31.2 feet long and 14.5 feet deep and high. 

The plan is to do a lighted garage scene with a crawl space above for storage. Rather than do the bare framed garage, I've decided to do the garage that's been plywood sheathed. One window, double barn doors, concrete floor, one door. I'll be using washes to get an aged patina on the wood, with color added to break up the "man that's a lot of wood". The walls are basswood over foam core. The foam core will give me some depth for the windows and doors as well as a support for the ceiling which will be framed out to look realistic. I cut out templates from poster board for each wall and then cut the foam core and added the basswood over that.

I'm gonna need to get some resin garage pieces or a Fujimi garage set. Here's where I'm at so far.

20170325_215813_zpslcvezeha.JPG.8b6f1c5a32d05963777fe5fa9188eb78.JPG

20170325_215842_zpsm9droreu.JPG

20170325_215849_zps2lgmxuhj.JPG

20170617_154541_zpsddpgokkg.JPG

20170617_172923_zpshlctxhnl.JPG

Edited by Jantrix

Thanks guys. This will be a long term project. A break from working on cars. My issue right now is the design of the door. Working in it.

I did something very simple for the floor. Grey primer over two comic book backer boards. It's just thick poster board really. But with a light coat its mottles very nicely. I'll add patina as I go.

I still need to figure out what car goes in it. Hot rod or muscle car? Something completed or do a work in progress with chassis on one side, body on the other?

I have a few options, but I'm leaning toward an AMT '63 Shelby Cobra.

20170617_173011_zpsmhpw6gze.JPG

20170617_173013_zpskeirqlcb.JPG

20170628_145619_zps3bosjjdv.JPG

20170628_145623_zpsrdugqqvt.JPG

Edited by Jantrix

• 3 months later...

I like the shadow box idea Rob, and your interior work so far is excellent. Interesting use of foam board to provide depth for doors and windows. I shall follow your progress with this project !  ( plenty of wood is good.... you can't have too much wood )

David

On 8/17/2018 at 1:01 PM, Anglia105E said:

I like the shadow box idea Rob, and your interior work so far is excellent. Interesting use of foam board to provide depth for doors and windows. I shall follow your progress with this project !  ( plenty of wood is good.... you can't have too much wood )

David

Thanks David. I don't recommend the foam core. Once the "plywood" was glued on, they curled up badly. It took a while under some bricks to flatten out again. I'm not sure what I would use in it's place. I have the balcony all framed out and I'm working on the staircase. I plan on adding some lighting so I'll have to do some soldering and wiring before I lay the balcony flooring. Pics tonight.

You mentioned the foam core, and not being able to recommend it...... I myself have experienced some issues with foamboard, and I do prefer the plywood parts of my diorama building. Warping seems to be the main issue, and like you I am not sure what to use in place of this material which does have some advantages. Good luck with the lighting, the wiring and soldering.

David