Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shadow box garage diorama - Fujimi garage set

Jantrix

Lighting has begun. I'm using a product sold by my employer, ECCO. It is a 12V interior light for cars and vans. They come in strings of 100, but when you have just two lights on the string a 9v battery will run them just fine. The 9V will be hidden in a crate on the storage area, with an on/off switch on the outside of the box.

I do not know how much they cost, but here is a link to them. I do not have any others to trade. Sorry.

https://www.eccoesg.com/us/en/products/InteriorLighting/EW0131Series

29365515317_78f17f6862_z.jpg

29365515267_bbe201d346_z.jpg

44253432682_134381d3ab_z.jpg

Got some more done. Working on the wiring for the lights and built a work bench and wall shelf. I've started flooring the balcony area. Soon I'll start going through my parts and stuff to find stuff to be stored up there. I plan on a lot of photo reduced boxes and all sorts of odds and ends.

30598967458_a9c68e5b2d_z.jpg

43750899524_f16269708e_z.jpg

43750899944_8c80519030_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Question. What did you use for the flooring?

A couple of comic book backing boards. It's poster board at near double thickness. I sprayed it with standard grey primer and by some happy accident it dried rather mottled and varied. It's a very convicing.

Thanks guys, I plan to get back on this this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. Right now I'm slowly building the garage set pieces. I'm doing the metal shelving unit and everything that's going on it. It's a model in itelf. They have to get done and placed before the balcony can go in. Lots of plans. This will be a slow build. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally back at this. Working on this suits my build time right now. I've decided to go about 70% on the detailing. Sort of a Normal Rockwell style garage. Still undecided what model car will be featured. I've got a gas compressor for the left corner. 3D printed and kinda rough. It's gonna take some serious sanding. 

20200316_191349.jpg

20200316_191358.jpg

20200316_191413.jpg

20200316_191525.jpg

Due to space constraints, these are my options for a WIP vehicle in the garage. I'm planning a body-off-frame scene with a engine and chassis on the left and the body on a rolling table being body worked. I am open to suggestions if you have an idea for something eye catching and different, that is of a similar size.

AMT Ford Cobra 289

Revell 32 5 -Window

Revell 29 Roadster

AMT 32 Vicky (recent issue)

AMT 25 Model T (chopped version)

AMT Double Dragster

Some cobbled together parts box hot rod. 

Hmm. Shadow boxes are hard to light for photos. I have decided to halt adding more parts or detail until the I get the model car that will be the centerpiece. I'm going to do the Revell Henry J. Kind of perfect for this build. Working on a trade/purchase now. Gonna do the balcony now.

20200322_112203.jpg

20200322_112123.jpg