• Announcements

• Site Upgrade   11/18/2017

The Forums will be down, Friday, November 24th starting 8 AM PST for upgrade.We'll probably be down until 1PM PST, but it might be longer. I'm doing a major forum software upgrade, so I expect the forums to operate somewhat differently when we come back online. 

1975 NHRA Modified Production '70 Malibu 10/28 On The Wheels (Again)

66 posts in this topic

Posted

We learn from each other, brother. Remember; there are no dumb questions, just a few dumb people.

Posted

I see what you are ref. to now, I pulled out my AMT body and saw what you described .....  sorry for butting in  ...... lol

Alan

No problem, here! It's always good to learn new things--even for us old dogs!grin

Posted

I've begun to adapt the interior components to one another, and the unit to the body.

IMG_3428cr.jpg

IMG_3429cr.jpg

IMG_3431cr.jpg

IMG_3433cr.jpg

IMG_3435cr.jpg

IMG_3438cr.jpg

IMG_3441cr.jpg

Posted

Just a quick update with the decals I will make for this car. Looks pretty '70s, to me!

Markings Test.jpg

Posted

Looking good wish I knew how do my own decals

Posted

Thanks, John. I don't have anything fancy, just a Canon inkjet and some Blingasm inkjet decal paper I found on Amazon. You need both white and clear, since the ink isn't opaque. You have to print light colors on the white, and trim right to the edge. I'd never had much luck until I did the decals for my '34.

Posted

I need to make this a tad smaller...

IMG_3527cr.jpg

IMG_3528cr.jpg

IMG_3529cr.jpg

Posted

Wow, the whole driveline and chassis, particularly the front, is a trick setup.

Posted

Wow, the whole driveline and chassis, particularly the front, is a trick setup.

Thanks, Ted! It's been a ton of work, but, I am happy with it, so far! After about six attempts, I finally have a pinion yoke that is small enough (the one pictured above is too big.). Going to head in and work on finishing the driveshaft, in a few.

Posted (edited)

After a few tries, I am finally happy with this bit of weirdness! I the sixth photo down, the kit driveshaft is alongside, for size reference.

IMG_3540cr.jpg

IMG_3541cr.jpg

IMG_3542cr.jpg

IMG_3545cr.jpg

IMG_3551cr.jpg

IMG_3558cr.jpg

IMG_3559cr.jpg

IMG_3567cr.jpg

IMG_3568cr.jpg

IMG_3570cr.jpg

IMG_3573cr.jpg

IMG_3575cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

Posted

Swapped out the diff for one that's more of a Dana 60. Had never paid attention to the one in the Johan Sox and Martin, but, it's really only a Dana 60 in the rear cover. The new one is from a Monogram kit, I am pretty sure, but I'm not sure which one. Anyway, here are some shots of the new diff, with the driveshaft. I have the retainers formed for attaching the u-joint to the pinion yoke. I also got a bit farther along with the interior assembly.

IMG_3589cr.jpg

IMG_3594cr.jpg

IMG_3602cr.jpg

Posted (edited)

Got a bit more done! The drivetrain is assembled, complete with driveshaft loop. The interior is coming together. Seats are from a '74 Vega promo. I butchered the interior tub to extract them! I'm not sure if I'm happy  with the trans u-joint. I may be able to rotate the assembly, to hide its shortcomings, but the diff yoke is tacky glued in place, at the moment.

IMG_3608cr.jpg

IMG_3610cr.jpg

IMG_3629cr.jpg

IMG_3635cr.jpg

IMG_3637cr.jpg

IMG_3640cr.jpg

IMG_3641cr.jpg

IMG_3642cr.jpg

IMG_3649cr.jpg

IMG_3651cr.jpg

IMG_3657cr.jpg

Posted

Great work on the drive shaft Daniel.

Posted

Thanks, JC. Now I need to figure out my next bit of insanity!

Posted (edited)

Figured I was far enough along to put everything together for a test fit, and put 'er on the wheels. No tierod, at this time, because I haven't assembled it with the teeny-tiny nuts and bolts, yet. I feel that moment is coming soon. I like the way it sits. It looks pretty badazz--like a '70s race car!

IMG_3667cr.jpg

IMG_3675cr.jpg

IMG_3679cr.jpg

IMG_3687cr.jpg

IMG_3668cr.jpg

Posted

Perfect stance for the 70s! Got that "new Hi-Jackers airshocks" elevated tailend look!