Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi's Ferrari F40LM Storm

Dann Tier

My build idea here was to build the LM into a "barely street legal" version of Ferrari's F40. I also wanted to see first hand why people shy away from building this kit - I've only ever seen two built, and they both seem to have the same issues. All the glass parts fit like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH right out of the box, so I cut apart all the windows and re shaped them to fit better. The side glass was replaced by clear acetate, and until I can find some super thin clear acetate that bends easily, I'm not putting on the headlamp covers. In my opinion, they were by far the worst part of the kit. I did several body mods: cut open the rear cowl "gills", added body work to the side rear windows, filled in the rocker panel vents, cut off that very ugly chin spoiler on the front, and scratch built a stock rear wing & kill switch. I also added parts from a Tamiya F40 kit, such as : seats, lower dash vents, foot pedals, stock wheels & tires, wiper, oil filter unit, and tail lights- they had already been painted. Photo etch parts were: seat belts, designer and Ferrari scripts, gas fills, and rear mesh. I also used self adhesive 3D Ferrari emblems I got off Ebay that stick really well !! I scratch built floor mats and the headlamp buckets. I slightly weathered the engine, and added braided intercooler & turbo lines. A lot of people say that you can't really see the detail behind the rear glass, but after I polished it a bit, it is not too bad - especially in person. After all, the window in the real car wasn't glass, and it wasn't that clear anyway. Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking!!!!!

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

Looks good so far with what you've got.

I have never tackled mine simply because I cannot get past the horrific shape issue(s) with the entire front end of the Fujimi LM. There is entirely too much crown to the front end, resulting in comically misshapen headlight buckets that make the whole car look like it's frowning. Once you see it, you cannot un-see it. When I got my kit I compared the kit body to photos of the real car, got seriously depressed, and back into the box it went. I have the first issue LM with the incredible box art. Shamefully what's inside cannot begin to live up to the box art. The amount of work to fix won't be easy to accomplish. I'd love to see someone try. 

My build idea here was to build the LM into a "barely street legal" version of Ferrari's F40. I also wanted to see first hand why people shy away from building this kit - I've only ever seen two built, and they both seem to have the same issues. All the glass parts fit like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH right out of the box, so I cut apart all the windows and re shaped them to fit better. The side glass was replaced by clear acetate, and until I can find some super thin clear acetate that bends easily, I'm not putting on the headlamp covers. In my opinion, they were by far the worst part of the kit. I did several body mods: cut open the rear cowl "gills", added body work to the side rear windows, filled in the rocker panel vents, cut off that very ugly chin spoiler on the front, and scratch built a stock rear wing & kill switch. I also added parts from a Tamiya F40 kit, such as : seats, lower dash vents, foot pedals, stock wheels & tires, wiper, oil filter unit, and tail lights- they had already been painted. Photo etch parts were: seat belts, designer and Ferrari scripts, gas fills, and rear mesh. I also used self adhesive 3D Ferrari emblems I got off Ebay that stick really well !! I scratch built floor mats and the headlamp buckets. I slightly weathered the engine, and added braided intercooler & turbo lines. A lot of people say that you can't really see the detail behind the rear glass, but after I polished it a bit, it is not too bad - especially in person. After all, the window in the real car wasn't glass, and it wasn't that clear anyway. Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking!!!!!

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

Nice Job Man

I have never tackled mine simply because I cannot get past the horrific shape issue(s) with the entire front end of the Fujimi LM. There is entirely too much crown to the front end, resulting in comically misshapen headlight buckets that make the whole car look like it's frowning. Once you see it, you cannot un-see it. When I got my kit I compared the kit body to photos of the real car, got seriously depressed, and back into the box it went. I have the first issue LM with the incredible box art. Shamefully what's inside cannot begin to live up to the box art. The amount of work to fix won't be easy to accomplish. I'd love to see someone try. 

I must be twisted or something, but the front end shape doesn't really bother me, I actually like it this way.

Sorry to hear that, whats the paint issue?

Hi,

Well, things were going swimmingly with my Vallejo blue, smooth, deep, rich.

But then I got this lame notion to spray it with transparent blue which made the surface rough and dulled some of the brilliance of the regular blue.

So I've been gently sanding it and got it smooth.

I then did a final coat of the Vallejo blue (non transparent) and fearing decal placement would make the paint bleed, decided to do a Future coat on it.  Well the Future sort of acted as a solvent to Vallejo.

I'm about over that calamity and will coat with Vallejo satin varnish instead.  Then decals and then the satin once again.

Hope no more calamities.

Edited by aurfalien

Darn you! I looked, I saw it, and now it's all I see! lolz :P

Despite the fronwy face, I think you did a perfect job. and I love that it's not red.

Hi,

Well, things were going swimmingly with my Vallejo blue, smooth, deep, rich.

But then I got this lame notion to spray it with transparent blue which made the surface rough and dulled some of the brilliance of the regular blue.

So I've been gently sanding it and got it smooth.

I then did a final coat of the Vallejo blue (non transparent) and fearing decal placement would make the paint bleed, decided to do a Future coat on it.  Well the Future sort of acted as a solvent to Vallejo.

I'm about over that calamity and will coat with Vallejo satin varnish instead.  Then decals and then the satin once again.

Hope no more calamities.

I've been racking my brain to find a way to help you out with your paint problem, but cant think of anything except if you want a new body I have an extra kit. the satin body should look cool too, but if you want a new body, just let me know.

Hi Dann,

Thats very nice if you!  The body is in fine shape, i simply soaked it in water, dried it and sanded polished to get it smooth.  Now it looks like blue primer so i will attempt the top coats this weekend.

BTW, unsure how you were able to cut the rear cowl grill, man that's super precision.  You are a master for sure.  The car looks awesome!

Hi Dann,

Thats very nice if you!  The body is in fine shape, i simply soaked it in water, dried it and sanded polished to get it smooth.  Now it looks like blue primer so i will attempt the top coats this weekend.

BTW, unsure how you were able to cut the rear cowl grill, man that's super precision.  You are a master for sure.  The car looks awesome!

Sounds like a good plan, but parts are here if you need them. Regarding the vents I opened, I used a tiny drill bit at an angle, drilling as close to the other holes as I could up and down each vent, then I cleaned it all up with a new blade. Lastly I attatched some sanding film to a thin strip of K&S brass that was the proper thickness, and length of the openings, and sanded away. Thanks for the compliment. We are ALL artists.