Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMC/Lindberg Tanker Trailer Capacity Questions;

Was this kit modeled after a specific 1:1 prototype?  And what would the capacity be, in gallons?  I'm currently building a straight truck milk tanker using the back-half of this kit and am wondering what the carrying capacity would be... I'm thinking somewhere around 2500 gallons, maybe 3000...  I'd like some other, more knowledgeable opinions, please.

The tank in the Lindberg kit measures about 15 inches long, and has an elliptical section of roughly 4 inches by 2 inches.

If we multiply by 25 (the model is in 1/25 scale), that gives us a full-size tank of about 375 inches length, with an elliptical section of about 100 inches by 50 inches.

To find the volume of an elliptical tank, we take these dimensions...   volume of an elliptical tank

...   and use this simplified formula...   pi x A x B x length, all divided by 4.  (pi = 3.1416, A = 50, B = 100, length = 375)

That will give us about 1,472,625 cubic inches.

One gallon is 231 cubic inches.

Divide the volume of the tank by the number of cubic inches in a gallon.

We get about 6375 gallons, which is about right for an older fuel tanker trailer design.

Today's larger tankers, pulled by more powerful tractors, are around 9000 gallons.

PS. Anybody, please feel free to check my math. It's late, and I'm tired.  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Was this kit modeled after a specific 1:1 prototype?  And what would the capacity be, in gallons?  I'm currently building a straight truck milk tanker using the back-half of this kit and am wondering what the carrying capacity would be... I'm thinking somewhere around 2500 gallons, maybe 3000...  I'd like some other, more knowledgeable opinions, please.

See above...   :D

Excellent!  Thank you, Bill!!!  My mind has been so fuzzed-out, recently, I didn't even think of figuring the volume, myself...  So, I am looking at around 3000 gallons for a straight truck built with half of the kit. Excellent!  The Mack R-model that I recently purchased, is the perfect chassis for it, then!  Thanks again, Ace!!!

Excellent!  Thank you, Bill!!!  My mind has been so fuzzed-out, recently, I didn't even think of figuring the volume, myself...  So, I am looking at around 3000 gallons for a straight truck built with half of the kit. Excellent!  The Mack R-model that I recently purchased, is the perfect chassis for it, then!  Thanks again, Ace!!!

:D  Glad I could help. I'm doing something kinda similar...a '50s Ford COE airport fuel truck.  

The tank in the Lindberg kit measures about 15 inches long, and has an elliptical section of roughly 4 inches by 2 inches.

If we multiply by 25 (the model is in 1/25 scale), that gives us a full-size tank of about 375 inches length, with an elliptical section of about 100 inches by 50 inches.

To find the volume of an elliptical tank, we take these dimensions...   volume of an elliptical tank

...   and use this simplified formula...   pi x A x B x length, all divided by 4.  (pi = 3.1416, A = 50, B = 100, length = 375)

That will give us about 1,472,625 cubic inches.

One gallon is 231 cubic inches.

Divide the volume of the tank by the number of cubic inches in a gallon.

We get about 6375 gallons, which is about right for an older fuel tanker trailer design.

Today's larger tankers, pulled by more powerful tractors, are around 9000 gallons.

PS. Anybody, please feel free to check my math. It's late, and I'm tired.  ;)

Um, yeah, ah, well, er, but....and...... Yer smart!!!!! lol

This is the one kit I am glad Ollies had by me. These are rarely ever under 20 after  shipping on ebay, or at least when I am looking. 

Yup. I'd been watching these kits for $50 + shipping on Ebay and was surprised when they showed up at Ollie's. Only bought two, probably should have bought a couple more for $19.99 each.