Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:18 ACME/GL '68 Shelby Racing Co. Trans Am Mustang revised

swede70

Greetings Jim,

Not exactly reduced to a science, I guessed where the deck lid should be cut, using the GMP '68 Camaro deck lid as a guide concerning the shape and size of what I removed for material.  At some races the inlet was offset to the right, whereas at other venues the inlet was centered on the panel.  I still have to fabricate the funnel leading to the fuel cell proper, but added here is a photo telegraphing largely what I did.  I hope this helps.  I did measure back from the leading edge of the panel 15 mm if this would aid your efforts, although repeating, what I did was largely guesswork.  Kind thanks...

Mike K.

5beb3531acd71_1968PearsonMustangthirteen003.JPG.aa53f88a0edd94974692746b22a6d0ce.JPG

M.K.

• 1 year later...

Greetings,

Also receiving a bit of attention, this would be the second body worked up to better replicate a flared '68-season Shelby Racing Co. Trans-Am Mustang resting a bit easier. The rear suspension has been cut apart to reduce the ride height, a Studio 27 photo etched mesh sheet has been employed to do a grille, while the seat and seat mount has been worked over to ensure it sits lower - especially towards the rear.  The roll cage main hoop was tossed aside and redone for needing to be both taller and a bit narrower along the top, while notice how it tucks in better.  Additionally, Greenlight plastic 'glass' polishes up well enough as can be seen.  If nothing else is strictly at risk of damage, definitely give things a literal whirl in this respect...

357498528_1968PearsonMustangrevisited1003.JPG.42e716c3078c08d2b2f67af7fbc5d23b.JPG

Further work (some of it unseen) includes a reasoned accessory drive up front (simple though it may be), a stress bar added forward of the front suspension turrets, and a Kar Kraft Watt's Link center pivot box structure fabricated to fit between the rear subframe rails.  I had two rear suspension castings, hence I cut the springs from one, and the axle clear away from the other in anticipation of adding lowering blocks, locating links, etc.  For the work done the standard springs aren't stressed too much for forcing the ride height down, while as can be seen, the ride height reduction in the back helps the model quite a bit.  The exhaust dumps are formed from brass tube and could actually be bent without huge risk of wall collapse.  Now if only I could do the same thing in 1:25th scale for my other projects!

1590120008_1968PearsonMustangrevisited1002.JPG.3f2652722710cb1735b18455206ce2c0.JPG

The short carburetor velocity stacks are modified 1:25th Jo-Han '69 S/S AMX parts, hopefully to be cast in clear resin.  An air box stands to be fabricated to overlay much in this respect.  Notice too the the pulleys have both front and rear lips apart and away from the belt used, while I hope to reproduce the Dayco D7 checkered pattern on the edge of the belt itself when finishes are finally applied.  The carburetors mounted inline are ERTL '64 Fairlane Thunderbolt issue and are very nicely rendered...

900993166_1968PearsonMustangrevisited3010.JPG.3672fb847d453cd9f7707d15ffc44a11.JPG

...and just the front again, this time with a the aforementioned new grille.  I had a spare grille assembly, traced it onto some thin sheet plastic, and then used the template to cut out the photo etched mesh.  Given the grille surround is lightly glued in, the grille drops in from the top.  Seen further below is an intended Aviaid extended sump oil pan based upon the Hwy. 61 '70 BOSS 302 tool, while the coil situated to the left is a Hwy. 61 '63 Pontiac LeMans item.  Thanks for your review of this brief project update...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

Some quick work performed then...

Seen on the main roll hoop looking back will be a pit signalling lamp characteristic of projects Shelby and AAR had a hand in from '68 through '70.  At some point I stumbled across a built up 1:25th scale AMT (I think) '69 Corvette kit that had tail lights that seemed appropriate for use as 1:18th scale lamps, while eventually a friend was kind enough to employ my mold to cast examples in clear resin.  A long time coming, but what was worked up looks trim.  One per side then.  Thanks...

1101172750_1968PearsonMustangrevisited4001.JPG.ca580c2ba2f6cb8b66b6ff148ff71342.JPG

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70