Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Member, 1962 Dodge Dart

Super28

Welcome!

Yes, this is a great place to hang out...

A lot of great people with a lot of great suggestions, but feel free to take them or leave them, we all have to figure out what works best for us!

BTW, I tried to figure out how long it will take me to build all the models in my collection, at my current rate, and I would have to live to 160... :-)

Not that I won't try...

Those will really look nice on this car, especially "period-correct" for the look you're after. You going to leave them chrome/polished, or dull them to plain cast aluminum?

I remember alot of the older (than me) guys' cars around here running plain aluminum slots, mostly because they were cheaper! They do have a certain "all-business" vibe about them unpolished.

Also like 'em with only the outer rim polished. Build on! Oh, don't forget the Cherry Bomb "mufflers", or Thrush, if you like your neighbors!

Those will really look nice on this car, especially "period-correct" for the look you're after. You going to leave them chrome/polished, or dull them to plain cast aluminum?

I remember alot of the older (than me) guys' cars around here running plain aluminum slots, mostly because they were cheaper! They do have a certain "all-business" vibe about them unpolished.

Also like 'em with only the outer rim polished. Build on! Oh, don't forget the Cherry Bomb "mufflers", or Thrush, if you like your neighbors!

How do I dull them ?  Going to try to make Lakewood traction bars for the back too

A couple of ways to get 'em dull. First and most obvious it strip them (overnight soak in either: bleach, oven cleaner, or purple stuff) and paint with dull aluminum paint, that will give them a grayish, "used" look. Second method is to overcoat the chrome with some Testors Dullcote; that will yield a cleaner, slightly brighter finish, similar to that "new from the box" look of freshly cast aluminum. Really a matter of taste and desired look. Do some quick test on parts box wheels/hubcaps, or even scrap chrome sprue. Keep us posted!

• 3 weeks later...