Model Cars Magazine Forum

6-cyl for '65 Econoline - AMT or Jo-Han?

As I've mentioned a few times, I'm building the Jimmy Flintstone Econoline. I'm doing it as a '65 with a 170 6-cylinder; from what I gather the only kit-sourced 170/200s are either the display engines offered in the '62 Styline Falcon and Comet, or the one from the Jo-Han Maverick. Which is more correct for the van, at least from underneath? I know it should have a center-sump oil pan:suoi5-984.thumb.jpg.05f514a94992278053ce

sui5-14.thumb.jpg.6083b8c2be940eff5a9ba7

And I'll also have to scrounge that small 3-speed (?) transmission someplace. Any advice would be appreciated!

Chris, how much of this engine will actually be visible?  That can determine how much effort you put into it

I went to some trouble to get a slant six into my Flintstone A100 van and all you can see it the chassis view. So as long as the bottom of engine and transmission look good, it's fine.  I also have the stock V8 in a 1970s Dodge van and didn't even include the top end of the engine!

Yes, the A100 kit has opening doors and a removable engine cover, but once you add the resin van body with fixed doors, you pretty much have to glue the engine cover in place.

Pretty much what you see in the photos - my main concern is the size and how it looks from underneath, and if it's a correct engine for a '62-'65 version (it's referred to as a '65 in the movie). I'm just happy the rear is closed off from view - I really didn't want to scratchbuild that chandelier :rolleyes:

Norm Veber's resin engine is a reproduction of the display engine that was included with the 1961 Falcon kit from AMT that year.  it's actually still quite well done.

Art

It is? I thought it was the Jo-Han engine; the instructions match the illustration from the Maverick kit, plus it looks a little more crisply molded.

Here's the Kitchen Table kit, built:

DSC00813-vi.jpg

Looks like the photos of the '62 I've seen.

Either way, which one of these has a correct early manual transmission? Thanks for all the help!

Edit: After Googling Econoline transmissions (duh!), I think the above one would be closer after correcting/shortening the tailshaft.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Both engines look like they have the very light duty "paper" 3 speed that was used in Falcons and Mustangs with the 6 cylinder. First gear isn't synchronized. It looks like they used it in 170 powered Econolines as well. Heavier duty versions used the full synchro V8 3-speed which has a top cover. I think that the paper 3 speed was discontinued after 66, at least in passenger cars.