Model Cars Magazine Forum

A MODERN TRADITIONAL DEUCE ROADSTER

mrm

This is one of these projects that I always wanted to do, but actually got triggered by accident. So, last weekend I was at the Heartland Nationals. Right outside the hall was a vendor, selling some really nice resin bodies. Very thin and crisp, in clear plastic packages, that seemed like factory kit parts, molded in white resin. There was a very nice pair of chopped 3-window and 5-window deuce bodies. I really wanted the chopped 5-window, but by the time I looked around and came back, all the 5-windows were gone. So, when I got back home, I decided to chop my own 5-window coupe, since I have quite few of those kits. It turned out great, altho the chop is a little aggressive. So, while I was at it, I though why not chop a 3-window the same way. I supposedly took less material that I did on the 5-window, but ended up with a radical chop, which was not quite what I was after. So, I kept the upper part of the roof to use on another body in order to get it right. The remaining part of the 3-window I decided to turn into a (somewhat phantom) roadster with a Duval windshield.  

I always wanted a full fendered Deuce roadster with the bigger suicide doors of the 3-window coupes. I just love how they curve on their front edge. I' even already set on the exact color scheme, which is a first for me. LOL. 

I started by cutting the coupe body right above the character line, from the firewall all the way back to the rear edge of the doors. Then I removed the same portion from the body of an AMT Phantom Vicky.

XSrT54.jpg

The two pieces were then glued together.

mMKBsu.jpg

The fenders from the 3-window kit were then made to fit on the Phantom Vicky frame. This will have a dropped I beam front axle however, for that traditional look. 

Egzruy.jpg

Can you say "Blue with flames"?

N0fdWp.jpg

Thank for looking and stay tuned. 

Very cool ideas. The bodywork and alterations to fit the AMT frame are very well done. Like the idea of full-fendered w/ Duvall windshield. Well thought out modifications .

Any ideas on wheels/tires?

Edited by doggie427

• 2 weeks later...

I love it so far, and I can't help but agree

with Kit on the stance issue.

That can make or break a good build in

any scale for sure!! I have a model A

roadster build in the planning stages yet,

and I keep bouncing back and forth about

the wheels and stance ideas.

I'm looking forward to more on this one!!

David S.

I'm digging this. Will be interested to see where you source wheels and tires.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing something like one of the Rat's Glass Speedstar cars, but the project will definitely require deep-offset large-diameter big n' little wheels.

• 10 months later...

This is moving along, altho I have not posted for over a year. 

I did not like the modified coupe body on the fenders. The more I looked at tit, the more out of proportion it looked to me. So I cut up a regular roadster body to accept the Phantom Vicky windshield and went from there. 

The frame started as Phantom Vicky, but end up getting so tweaked and modified that even tho it is immediately recognized it is actually about 60% different. 

Fot the rear end I scratchbuilt rear axle. It is made from aluminum tubing with quickchange that I cast in resin. I don't remember what kit the master came from, but I know I had to modify it, before I made the mold. The brakes are from 32 Roadster kit and the bottom radius rods are modified pieces from the ZZ Top Eliminator. Top ones are going to be scratchbuilt. 

The "horns" of the front fenders have been greatly modified to eliminate the spreader bar and to accept the grille which has been sunk into the fenders. The skirt under the grille also had to be very much reshaped. The reasoning behind all this work is because the fenders are slightly stretched and the whole nose of the car sits further back in the fenders. It is a subtle change that is not immediately noticeable if not pointed out, but it does miracles for the stance of the car, as the center of the front wheels is now almost in front of the grille. 

Speaking of fenders, the running boards have been filled and the rear fenders have been bobbed. They are not quite as high as the bottom of the body, but definitely much closer to it than the originals. 

At this point it has been painted with Kreatex acrylic paint and cleared with 2KClear, to create a workable base for the masking of the flames. 

Will keep you updated...........

This is cool Michael. Looking forward to updated pictures.

Just a quick note. If you're using the modern tool Revell roadster body, check your fitment to the fenders constantly. If you measure from the front of the cowl to the beginning of the rear wheel arch you'll notice it's different from side to side. That is the reason Revell has never offered the roadster with fenders. This difference side to side leaves a gap when you drop them on the fender set. I think they made it better when they tooled up the Rat Roaster body, but it's still not perfect.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

This is cool Michael. Looking forward to updated pictures.

Just a quick note. If you're using the modern tool Revell roadster body, check your fitment to the fenders constantly. If you measure from the front of the cowl to the beginning of the rear wheel arch you'll notice it's different from side to side. That is the reason Revell has never offered the roadster with fenders. This difference side to side leaves a gap when you drop them on the fender set. I think they made it better when they tooled up the Rat Roaster body, but it's still not perfect.

I am using the Rat Roaster body. But I glued the side hoods to the body and to the grille. From there I sanded everything smooth and then rescraped the lines for the side hoods. It does create issues of the grille not sitting perfectly square, but after all the sanding and modding I've done, everything is fine. 

Uploading pictures now. 

Edited by mrm

Whoa! This is just the sort of project that keeps getting passed over on my to-do list, ever since I fell in love with the AMT Phantom Vicky as the Ultimate Parts Kit. Smart move on swithchinh to the roadster nody over the 5 window. Much more straightforward and appropriate. I've always liked the detail and authenticity of that modern AMT chassis. The changes your making to the suspension are just what's needed. Can't wait to see more, more, more!

Just got done unmasking the flames. This paint job truly tested my patience and taxed my back. 

XGDreL.jpg 

I used Tamiya colors for the flames and altho it is not really immediately apparent, there is Chrome yellow, Camel Yellow, Bright orange and orange in the fade, which is so subtle that almost looks like one color. 

There is a lot more work left, like touch ups here and there, light sanding and then the clear coats with sanding in between in order to smooth everything out. 

I am hoping to get it done in time for next week's Hartland Nationals. 

Honestly, I am not 100%satisfied with the flames. The fade is exactly what I wanted and so are the colors. I think the flames could have been more scaled down, so to speak, and "stretched back" more. Still not bad I think. Escpecially considering that I freehanded them with exacto knife. 

OH95Ux.jpg

sMIJhO.jpg

PSDO6b.jpg

31 minutes ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Those flames look sweet!  Going to be a beauty when done.

Thank you. Working on it. 

I have like 5 models to finish by next Friday. 

On 6/1/2018 at 5:19 PM, mrm said:

Just got done unmasking the flames. This paint job truly tested my patience and taxed my back. 

XGDreL.jpg 

I used Tamiya colors for the flames and altho it is not really immediately apparent, there is Chrome yellow, Camel Yellow, Bright orange and orange in the fade, which is so subtle that almost looks like one color. 

There is a lot more work left, like touch ups here and there, light sanding and then the clear coats with sanding in between in order to smooth everything out. 

I am hoping to get it done in time for next week's Hartland Nationals. 

Honestly, I am not 100%satisfied with the flames. The fade is exactly what I wanted and so are the colors. I think the flames could have been more scaled down, so to speak, and "stretched back" more. Still not bad I think. Escpecially considering that I freehanded them with exacto knife. 

OH95Ux.jpg

sMIJhO.jpg

PSDO6b.jpg

Very impressive- the flames and the build.