[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

    • Dave Ambrose

      Board Status   07/20/2018

      Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
mrm

A MODERN TRADITIONAL DEUCE ROADSTER

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, gman said:

Very impressive- the flames and the build. 

Thank you. 

Glad you like it guys.

Working on the engine right now. Its gonna be a supercharged SBC with Edelbrock goodies and some extra detail.

I already touched up the flames and cleared them once. They are curing and tomorrow I'll sand them and clear them again, hopefully for the last time. I hope they will end up smooth. 

Stay tuned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have much pictures of the progress to show, but here is one.

Flames were corrected/touched up where needed and then wet sanded and cleared again.

This is what it looks like after after this was done three times. 

5aoJGr.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you Flames are in perfect proportion and the colors are dead on. I hope you bring this to the Hartland Nationals this weekend, I'd love to see this in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, espo said:

I think you Flames are in perfect proportion and the colors are dead on. I hope you bring this to the Hartland Nationals this weekend, I'd love to see this in person.

Thank you. 

As of today, Thursday, the body is buffed out, the interior is painted and the engine is mostly done (need to plumb the carbs).

 I’m finishing it tonight, together with some other models and tomorrow night I’ll be driving to Kansas.

 I will be there this weekend for sure, so you’ll see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mrm said:

Thank you. 

As of today, Thursday, the body is buffed out, the interior is painted and the engine is mostly done (need to plumb the carbs).

 I’m finishing it tonight, together with some other models and tomorrow night I’ll be driving to Kansas.

 I will be there this weekend for sure, so you’ll see it. 

Cool. I want to see this flame job. Did you free hand the design or did you use a mask ? I'm trying to work up the courage to do something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I dropped the ball on the progress photos of this model, but I was trying to finish it up on time for the show.

Here is more of the body and the flames being polished.

ppG59Z.jpg
sAKyKN.jpg

 

Since i wanted to use a photo etched grille, I had to make a radiator face in the front of the shell

pntsgn.jpg

 

Then the grille was put together with 5min epoxy

sPen2Q.jpg
nm7wjL.jpg

 

Next the dash was dressed up with photoetched instrument insert, photoetched banjo steering wheel and the floor received purple "carpet" and some nifty photoetched pedals.

tD5rW5.jpg

 

The seat was painted black and some seatbelts were made from photoetched parts, strip styrene and paper painted with a Sharpie

F0A1N9.jpg


gzsHEY.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mrm said:

Sorry I dropped the ball on the progress photos of this model, but I was trying to finish it up on time for the show.

Here is more of the body and the flames being polished.

ppG59Z.jpg
sAKyKN.jpg

 

Since i wanted to use a photo etched grille, I had to make a radiator face in the front of the shell

pntsgn.jpg

 

Then the grille was put together with 5min epoxy

sPen2Q.jpg
nm7wjL.jpg

 

Next the dash was dressed up with photoetched instrument insert, photoetched banjo steering wheel and the floor received purple "carpet" and some nifty photoetched pedals.

tD5rW5.jpg

 

The seat was painted black and some seatbelts were made from photoetched parts, strip styrene and paper painted with a Sharpie

F0A1N9.jpg


gzsHEY.jpg

I saw your finished build at the Heartland Show in June. As good as these pictures look, they don't really do your build justice, This is one that you have to see in person to really appreciate just how good it looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, espo said:

I saw your finished build at the Heartland Show in June. As good as these pictures look, they don't really do your build justice, This is one that you have to see in person to really appreciate just how good it looks.

Thank you David. 

Honestly, I rushed it and I personally could find a lot left to be desired. I will correct some things and finish others that were not done for the show. 

I learned a lot from attempting this paint job. And there is definitely going to be a version 2.0 LOL :lol:

Edited by mrm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the scratchbuilt shocks with purple anodized springs to stay in character.

z73MoX.jpg

 

And here they are attached to the trick suspension, designed to look like no shocks when seen from behind.

5T7YAZ.jpg
ZSIkZZ.jpg

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Haven't been following since the beginning, but that's one heck of a build. I've wanted to build a 3 window for a while, and here's a little inspiration to do it. I've really got to stop looking through the forums, seeing builds like this is just increasing my to-do list entirely too much....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The engine came from Revell's Rat Roaster, but with few extra accessories. The valve covers and the air filter are resin pieces with photoetched  tops from Model Car Garage. The carbs are from the supercharged big block in Revell's '68 Corvette Roadster. The headers are from Revell's '37 Ford. All of these have been painted with Molotow chrome marker. This stuff works great. I also drilled the distributor and added some wires and photoetched wire looms. The carbs were detailed with some braided fuel line and some linkage. It came out pretty good  in typical Alloway style. 

ke7E40.jpg

It fits perfect. I wanted it tall so it could also fill up the whole space under the hood. 

NKGlW5.jpg
vENiFb.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made the exhaust from silver solder and some aluminum tubing. I kept it really simple.

e1GHpb.jpg
8ibkXG.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is what it looked like at the Heartland Nationals.

Hzt1DI.jpg
tv8sLO.jpg
kdf8Hs.jpg

Unfortunately, some things were not finished. Like no tail lights or license plate. There may also be some gaps in panels where there should not be any. But I will fix all that. Plus maybe add a rearview mirror and some pinstripes here and there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael, that is one of the nicest scale flame layouts I have ever seen on a model car.  Wow.   Combined with your workmanship, that model is quite impressive.  Congrats....TIM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Michael, that is one of the nicest scale flame layouts I have ever seen on a model car.  Wow.   Combined with your workmanship, that model is quite impressive.  Congrats....TIM 

Thank you Tim. And coming from you that is quite the compliment, I may add. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now