Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey, guys....... I want to build a mild custom '48 Ford with a stock roof. There's not many pics online of these cars customized without chopping the roof. I'm looking for things like unique front and rear treatments. (I have the headlight buckets from the '62 Catalina, I'm thinking quad lights)...

You guys have any pics you could share? They would be of inspiration to a lot of folks.....

Thanks for any help!

Sounds like a fun project! Quad headlights tend to be a feature of the medium-to-heavy customs. Mild customs tended to stick to lowering, paint and wheel/tire changes, and accessorizing with spotlights, lake pipes, etc. IMHO these cars need a chop, but suit yourself.

I'd check out Kustomrama.com and look for customizing ideas from the era, ; there are ideas that have worked on other makes and years that you could apply to yours. The best way to come up with a unique front/rear treatment is to invent something! Chances are, though, that someone has already tried it in the past, either in 1:1 or scale form.

Are you going for a traditional style custom? Or is it "anything goes"?

Thanks for the replies, guys, It's all very helpful.......!

Spex84..... I'll be doing what customizing I can by mixing the stock kit with the chopped custom coupe. Tuck and roll interior, lowered suspension, etc.....

Just want to do something like maybe '50 Olds headlights, rear roll pan....... just looking for pics for ideas and how they may look. Sometimes things look better on paper than in 3D....

how about a front facia and grille from a '50 or '53 ford pickup?

Similar to Arctic Sand which appeared on the cover of Rod & Custom July '57. Also check out Rik Hoving's fotki page, he's got a lot of pics of 41-48 customs. https://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_photos/customcars_i_like/ford_custom_cars/46-48_ford_custom_cars/

p1300110.jpg

Edited by Draggon