Model Cars Magazine Forum

From the mind of a 9 year old...

iamsuperdan

So my 9 year old daughter is the only other one in the household that has taken any sort of interest in dad's hobby. :)

So heck yeah I'm going to encourage that!

This is her latest. Other than the BMF (which I decided to use for practice. Obviously I need more practice) this is entirely her. All the paint and assembly. Zero direction from me regarding colours or ideas.

Needless to say, she's a fan of colour and custom paint. No factory stock for her! She sprayed the Tamiya fine primer, the Duplicolour flat black, did the paint splatter, and hit it with Tamiya clear. Interior is a few shades of black, except for the roll bar and dash which she wanted red. Wheels are Tamiya's Coral Blue.

The kit itself is one of the Revell snap kits. I found it and a few others in the series for $2 each, many years ago at a toy liquidator shop we used to have here.

IMG_20170621_2014515_zpsvxoe64dm.jpg

IMG_20170621_2012573_zpshwpbnet6.jpg

IMG_20170621_2011167_zpsr39n0gbj.jpg

IMG_20170621_2013086_zps8w3zclxx.jpg

IMG_20170621_2013042_zpssafqyyrf.jpg

Other than my BMF job, I think it turned out pretty good. :)

Now she wants to tackle something with glue. Sounds good to me.

I think your daughter has a very creative mind. The paint job isn't something I would have thought of, but you just can't stop looking at it. If she can came up with all this at 9 years of age I think you two are going to have a lot of fun together at the work bench in the future. 

I'd never have considered paint splatter for a kit! 

But the more I think about it, the more I think, "why not?"

The whole point of the hobby is to enjoy it, to have fun. Why do I fret over small details, when I could just build what I want and have fun with it?

Time to start thinking a little more like a kid.

I'm going to consult with her on some of my future builds. See what she comes up with for me.

:)

She has done an awesome job here!! -right down to the balance of kolor and composition!!  -I bet it is nice to have someone to pass-on your skills to, I thought my nephew would, but then he started playing video games, and that was the end of that. its gonna be a bugger to find a good home for all my model stuff when I die.  Anyway, Tell her she did a Fantastic job!!

I think your daughter has a very creative mind. The paint job isn't something I would have thought of, but you just can't stop looking at it. If she can came up with all this at 9 years of age I think you two are going to have a lot of fun together at the work bench in the future. 

I agree totally. I tried to start my grandson but everything came to a scrreching halt soon after. I am in the process of building a desk for him. Your daughter got right into it. Beautiful.