Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beach diorama base - DONE 6/26

Mike

This is my second attempt at a 1/24 scale diorama. I needed something to display my 39 Chevy wagon rod, and felt a little beach scene would do the trick. Here's where I'm at -

The palm trees were painted flat green, then I mixed 3 other lighter shades of green in various degrees to bring out the hi/low lights. Same with the trunks. Base flat brown with two lighter shades to bring out the detail -

DSC03253.jpg

DSC03254.jpg

Today I picked up some "citadel" Warhammer gaming grass and Scenic Sand from Michael's to complete the beach with some foam board to raise the grassy portion. I used a spare tire to make the tracks driving on to the beach and a makeup pad to put the footprints in the sand. I've got other details to sort out yet, but it's coming along.

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03257.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

Edited by Mike

Very nice Mike! Puts me in a beach mood!

What did you use to get the sand to stick to the base? Elmers/water & windex or something else?

Great work!

Just the .99 cent white glue in the background mixed with water.

My BRILLIANT WIFE looked at me tonight and said, "Those gauze bandages in the bathroom would work for your hammock wouldn't they?" The smile and elation on my face told her she was right. I commenced to digging through the bathroom when she arrived to get them for me. :( LOVE MY WIFE!

I tore apart the bandage for the webbing and the hammock's done!!! Now I need my figure to show up in the mail so's I can put him in action tying up the other end.

DSC03264.jpg

DSC03265.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there friend! Just thought this was a way cool dio' Looks like all yer missin is the guy turnin the burgers over on the portable grill' Excellent fella keep on wit the keepin on!!!

peace

ajulia

It's done. My second 1/24 diorama. Hot rod enthusiast needs a little R&R after a long week. :D I think I'll end up building a cooler and other misc. things for the back of the wagon, but for now it's done. I scratchbuilt the bermuda's hanging on the door and painted the yellow flowers on them to finish it off.

DSC03275.jpg

DSC03276.jpg

DSC03277.jpg

DSC03278.jpg

DSC03279.jpg

DSC03280.jpg

Bored,so I clicked in here. Glad I did. Your hamock gave me a idea.I know what I could use, but what did you make yours out of? Jody

Hi Jody,

My brilliant wife actually looked at me one night and said "Those bandages in the bathroom would work for your hammock wouldn't they?". So, I/she found the gauze bandages in the bathroom and peeled one apart for the inner webbing, which I used for the hammock. :angry:

• 1 month later...

Mike,

I love it.....I have a question if I may.....What did you use as a base under the sand? Did you mix something in the sand? I have tossed a simial idea around and could not decide how to handle the sand, weather I should use some medium and allow the sand to be glued to it, or to mix the sand with some medium, sculpt and allow to dry,....

Any info would be appreciated.....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...