Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rotation

Super28

I started the thread "New Member, 1962 Dodge Dart", which is great for that one. The problem is I have 112 right now and don't want to start a new thread for each one , so, I'll just use this one for all of them.

First thing , I get bored working on one model so I came up with a plan that I use to use that worked out great. I do one step at a time and move on to the next one.

ie: I do step one on #1, Then step two on #1, then step one on #2 and keep adding as I go. I have a log to keep track and a file folder on each one with reference pictures and notes on what I was doing.

20170623_114004.jpg

Next , I found these tweezers at Harbor Freight for $5.00. The light makes it great to see what you're working on.

Also , as I was un-packing , I kept finding loose pieces to I had these small zip lock bags. I decided these would be great for those small pieces and pieces I was working on to keep them from getting messed up until I got to use them20170623_114059.thumb.jpg.7c479974ca8fbe20170623_113923.thumb.jpg.7b657c088b15d520170623_113943.thumb.jpg.af4c43f848dec6

Next , I found these tweezers at Harbor Freight for $5.00. The light makes it great to see what you're working on.

Also , as I was un-packing , I kept finding loose pieces to I had these small zip lock bags. I decided these would be great for those small pieces and pieces I was working on to keep them from getting messed up until I got to use them20170623_114059.thumb.jpg.7c479974ca8fbe20170623_113923.thumb.jpg.7b657c088b15d520170623_113943.thumb.jpg.af4c43f848dec6

Oooh, I want those tweezers. lol I'll have to check out my local store. I use all sorts of plastic bags like that to retain parts and sometimes whole projects.

Oooh, I want those tweezers. lol I'll have to check out my local store. I use all sorts of plastic bags like that to retain parts and sometimes whole projects.

Go on line to "Harbor Freight. Have 'em shipped right to your door

"

OK. Step #1 on my 1962 Dodge Dart.

Dis-assembly. Already hit a snag. Drilled out the pins that held the body to the frame. Easy! Everything came right apart EXCEPT the tail lights. Apparently I wasn't bashful with the glue on them. Don't want to mess them up anymore than I have to. They would almost impossible to find, So, Any suggestions on the best way to remove them? Also, need to strip the body. What should I use that won't screw up the plastic or the lines on the body?

I've ordered a Lindberg, 1964 "Color Me Gone" Dodge for the frame. Will probably use the motor too. Johan Motor is not very detailed.

Thank You in advance20170623_124728.thumb.jpg.be89415bc72b5620170623_124744.thumb.jpg.80f6919de89a55

OK. Step #1 on my 1962 Dodge Dart.

Dis-assembly. Already hit a snag. Drilled out the pins that held the body to the frame. Easy! Everything came right apart EXCEPT the tail lights. Apparently I wasn't bashful with the glue on them. Don't want to mess them up anymore than I have to. They would almost impossible to find, So, Any suggestions on the best way to remove them? Also, need to strip the body. What should I use that won't screw up the plastic or the lines on the body?

I've ordered a Lindberg, 1964 "Color Me Gone" Dodge for the frame. Will probably use the motor too. Johan Motor is not very detailed.

Thank You in advance20170623_124728.thumb.jpg.be89415bc72b5620170623_124744.thumb.jpg.80f6919de89a55

You have two options with those tail lights if you cannot get them out.

1) Cover them with liquid mask

2) Paint them after the car is painted.

Your plans look to be workable, as that is how I would go about doing the car. If you are going replica stock, Missing Link Resin offers a beautiful set of '63 Polara wheel covers (same as the '62), if you do not have a set of wheel covers.

Had the same type of problem once before and I covered a set of tail lights with bare metal foil then removed it after the paint work and I have also used blu tac the stuff you stick posters on the wall for masking as well with great success. Hope this may help you

Terry, it looks like the taillights weren't pushed all the way into the bezels in the first place, which is a good thing - you might try drilling the locating pins out from behind, and trying to wiggle them out as you go (the plastic is thick where they insert). I've had some luck doing it this way. Also if you leave them in when you soak the body, they may turn clear, so have some clear red taillight paint handy (this is a thing with Jo-Han kits in general). If worse comes to worst, this kit was in production for several years, so try posting a Wanted ad for them - sometimes an extra set was tossed into the box at the factory.

Happy modeling and welcome to the forum!

Correction!

I said I got my lighted tweezers from Harbor Freight but after reading the back of the package They're distributed by Tractor Supply,

part #1081027. Website, www.TractorSupply.com

Sorry for the mistake.

Great advice on the tail lights on the Dodge Dart. Thanks!

Had the same type of problem once before and I covered a set of tail lights with bare metal foil then removed it after the paint work and I have also used blu tac the stuff you stick posters on the wall for masking as well with great success. Hope this may help you

Hey, the first Car I ever owned was a 1960 Pontiac Catinina Convertible. About that color with a gold interior. Dad gave it to me when I was in high school, back in the 60s,(shhhh). It was a rust bucket , but loved the tank!

Well, got the red tail lights out. Was able to push them out from the back as picture shows. But the plated one are not coming loose. Just chipping the plating the more I try, so guess I'll do the "Bare Metal Foil" wrap and cover them up. Now to get something to strip the paint off the body!20170624_154707.thumb.jpg.f1adb30769e7d720170624_154759.thumb.jpg.b85abb647ec716

Anybody know any place that sells tires and wheels? Needing some Crager style wheels and some big treaded tires for the '62 Dodge. Going old school style!

Hi the new release of the sox and martin gtx has crager rims. Not sure if this helps you out but here is a link to check them out

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/123025-sox-martin-67-gtx-a-question/

Well, Got a painted part soaking in some "Purple Power" over nite to see how it works before I put it on my '62 Dodge. Decided to start on #2, A Johan 1960 Desoto. After dis-assembly I found a dilemma. The side trim on the left side was molded crooked. To straighten that out I would need sand off the low part and re make that spot , which means I would end up sanding the whole body and re-painting. I don't mind that, Will give me a chance to try my hand at air-brushing. The problem is if I do I will lose The "Adventurer" on the quarter panels and probably the "Desoto" on the trunk lid. Aaaaaaaaugh!! 1.thumb.jpg.8751aad3c1dff133f5a74eec1da62_(1).thumb.jpg.52330dad44236f66387c8cc92_(3).thumb.jpg.22bb94655a3798b8f3b75f284_(1).thumb.jpg.a48f365ce2f3d54c1cd367244_(2).thumb.jpg.eb719f517c52928da9b66becSuggestions?

Sorry Terry, I should have mentioned that the top taillights on the '62 Dodge are molded into the body - actually, they're backup lights and should be clear; you could cast them in clear resin or just paint them white and clear-coat them.

On the DeSoto, it looks like the body has suffered some heat damage/warpage - you may want to look for another body; not too hard to find (an NOS one just sold on eBay for $23 a few days ago). If you have to use this one, try duplicating a straight section of the trim with foil and filler and use that to replace the bent part.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• 2 weeks later...