Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram circa 65 Woody Wagon Clone

Dave Darby

Heres a clone of Monogram's original issue of their trusty 30 Model A Woody. It's kind of a companion piece to the Blue Beetle so it seemed only fitting to borrow the rolling stock and front axle from the recent Blue Bandito kit to combine with the 2007 Revell reissue. Testors Flame Red lacquer is very close to the original crimson plastic, while Tamiya Light Tan matches the original wood sides perfectly. I wish I would have known sooner or I would have used the 3 bar knock offs from the Predicta which are a perfect match. I made the license plates in Photoshop to match the box art.

20170521_152541.jpg

20170520_213010.jpg

20170520_212829.jpg

20170521_113104.jpg

20170412_192717.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

Very nicely done, Dave, and boy does that take me back! The old Mono woody was one of the very first model cars I ever built, back in 1966 or maybe even 1965. Come to think of it, I didn't even consider myself a "car modeler" yet but for some reason though Woodies were cool. I remember it had whitewall inserts and big slicks on Americans (or maybe they were Astro Supremes) on the rear. I carefully hand-painted the "inset" areas of the wood with a darker brown paint, not knowing that this wasn't really accurate.

I still have most of that old model. Not sure I still have the wheels and tires but pretty sure I still have the rest. About a decade ago I bought a fairly cleanly built, unpainted "glue bomb"-ish example of the same kit, the idea being to combine parts from it with my old one and come up with one good model. Now you're making me want to dig that glue bomb out and see if I can work one of my Snake-Fu "survivor restos" on it. B)

Very cool!