Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '66 Surburban shown at NNL-East!

591e412c1d020_PlaidGMCV6.thumb.jpg.44522

Those valve covers are for real on GMC V-6 engines at that time. I used to have a Union 76 station years ago and had a customer who bought a new GMC truck. We were talking and knowing I was a gear head he said he had a big surprise  for me. He then lifted the hood and we both had a good laugh at the valve covers. GMC did this to imply economy with the V-6. These were great torque engines, gas economy not so much.   

Those valve covers are for real on GMC V-6 engines at that time. I used to have a Union 76 station years ago and had a customer who bought a new GMC truck. We were talking and knowing I was a gear head he said he had a big surprise  for me. He then lifted the hood and we both had a good laugh at the valve covers. GMC did this to imply economy with the V-6. These were great torque engines, gas economy not so much.   

That rinky-dink 1 Bbl atomiser was its weakest link ! Why did GMC make this engine breathe-through a coffee stir stick ?? IIRC , the larger-displacement engines ( e.g. , the 478 cube variant ) received 2 Bbl atomisers ; still a weak attempt , but more reliable than the 4 Bbl's of the day (i.e. , less finicky ) .

I read some-where that the "Scotch" rocker covers indicated either a running-production change (redesigned heads ?) or that some TSB / Recall work was performed . Probably just urban legend ...

How neat would it be to build a 351 cube GMC , with a 3-71 or 4-71 oxidiser atop ? 

Not to drag this thread off-topic , but ...  Allegedly , the HEI distributor from the Buick 231 ( 3.8 litre ) fits these engines . Perhaps it's merely an HEI conversion which employes the Buick cap & rotor ? Either way , that's cool !

I positively LOVE these engines !

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an R&R resin and I think it might be best to quickly list it on eBay and hope someone doesn't know what Revell is doing! :P

Just looking at the photos of your nicely finished model and the Revell model above,  you can see R&R missed a few details.  No fuel door on the left side, no visible hinges on the rear doors.  And they missed the pronounced roof ridge right behind the front doors. It's there but much too faint.

Tom, your Panel looks wonderful and allow me to point out the R&R is a LONG wheel base . The Revell will be a SHORT wheel base . I have a Ford Panel truck and it's easy to see why Chevrolet and GMC combined outsold Dodge and Ford . From 1946, Ford  offered just the ONE panel as did Dodge . Chevrolet offered TWO wheel bases , TWO trim levels and 4wheel drive conversions along with a Suburban . Now Ford of Mexico DID indeed do a Suburban type vehicle , but they NEVER offered it here in the states . Yes, Ford offered a "Deluxe cab" option , but was limited to better seats , and interior appearance items  along with markers on the hood and grille .

• 3 weeks later...

Very nicely done video first . This screams Panel truck , so making a SWB Panel is nearly a snap. The rear door gives an experienced builder the option of the Lift up and Tail gate assembly option too! I also for see the Resin  Guys making the LWB version too. Loads of possibilities here